Peculiar Dwelling | Teen Ink

Peculiar Dwelling

By Smosmyra BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
Smosmyra BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

The exterior of the home was normal and boring, you would never know how opulent the interior was. I swung open the front door and was greeted by many bright and beautiful flowers creating a pathway to the living room. Such a grandiloquent entrance, I wonder what else there is to see. Throughout the living room I noticed gnomes and patches of grass and fairy statues surrounding the flower pillows that sat directly in front of the enclosed pond full of lily pads and koi fish, then I looked to the right and noticed a bright yellow sun-shaped television. It took me a minute to take in all my surroundings and finally realize that I was in a life-size garden. I felt as if I was in a fairytale, scoping out the scenery and testing out all the beautiful flower pillows. Out of curiosity I turned on the TV only to find that it had one channel, the scenery contained a beautiful garden with a pond in the middle of it, almost completely resembling this room. I took a sharp left to the hallway and immediately saw the bathroom. It’s so lovely, pink and purple flowers cover the shower curtain which matches perfectly with the blush colored walls and purple towels. It smelled of lavender and roses which was almost too good to be true. It was as if a numinous being has come down and handpicked every decoration then meticulously placed it to make it seem like heaven itself. I took one last look then headed back out into the hallway then made my way into what seemed to be a starry night bedroom. There were dark blue walls with the night sky painted on them, not missing one planet nor one star. To the left of the door was a bowl full of candies that were shaped like Saturn and a sign above them that said, “HELP YOURSELF”. I took one bite of the chewy candy and as it melted in my mouth I felt as if I could taste the night sky around me. It tasted cold and blue. The stars were dancing around me, making me dizzy enough to fall back onto the bed and go into a hysteria of laughter as the planets took me into space, showed me around and let me ride the Milky Way. After I came back down from that trip I thanked the planets for giving me a good time and made my way back into the long, mysterious hallway. I looked around for more rooms and saw the attic door. I pulled on the dusty string and the door groaned at me and creaked all the way open. The stairs looked stable enough so I started climbing up to the zenith of the house. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I could hear the scurrying of little rodents and furniture shifting in the distance. It was like a roach motel up here, literally. Everywhere I looked there was a different insect and oddly enough there were pieces of little furniture like it was custom built just for them. Besides the little bug land that included couches, TVs, beds, and even kitchens, there were only regular-sized dusty boxes and an old rocking chair. I saw all that I needed to so I just headed back down the stairs and closed up the attic making sure that I wasn’t being followed by an army of roaches on the way out. I’ve seen all that I needed to and it was getting late so I said goodbye to my amazing discovery, got back in my car and headed home.

My piece, “Peculiar Dwelling” is about a house hidden in the woods with extravagant details within. This story started out as a vocabulary exercise but turned into much more when I let my imagination take over. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my story.