The Choice of Life | Teen Ink

The Choice of Life

By benfrizzell BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
benfrizzell BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

Once upon a time there was a young boy named Leo. Leo was born into a nice family and they were quite wealthy. They had a large house in a nice city. Leo would wake up every morning the time and walk to school which was nearby. He would come home and do the same thing everyday. This included homework, videogames and dinner with his two parents and sister. He had plenty of friends but didn't see them during the week very often. He continued his cycle of activities each and every day with an occasional change of school every once in a while. Until, one day he was laying in bed thinking to himself. He thought about many things such as family, his house and all his friends. He went over these things in his head that he had never thought of. He realized he had never had a challenge in his life. When thinking about this he had fallen asleep. When thinking about this he had fallen asleep. When he fell asleep he fell into a trance and a half-human half-god figure appeared before him.

The figure said in a deep voice, “Leo you have been selected as the winner.”

Leo was confused by this and asked what he had won. The figure then explained that Leo would now have unlimited amounts of time to live any life he could come up with. Leo excitedly then said he wanted to live a life where he had unlimited money and was very handsome.

The figure then said, “as you wish.”

Leo was now born as a child names Brad. Brad’s father, Richard was the world’s first trillionaire. Richard would buy brad anything he wanted. Throughout his life, Brad had everything he wanted and got any girl he wanted. He was very healthy and passed away at the age of 102. When he passed away Brad’s consciousness went back into Leo and Leo then remembered he had just lived a whole entire life in his dream. He told all his friends at school what had happened and everyone looked at him like he was crazy. The rest of his day was once again normal until he had fallen back asleep. The figure appeared once again and asked Leo how his night was. Leo explained to him how it was the best experience of his life. He had so much money in the world and never had to worry about anything. Leo was then given another choice of a life to live. Only this time the figure gave him some advice on which type of life to experience. He suggested a life where friends and loved ones were constantly supporting him even though he wasn’t as wealthy or handsome. Leo turned down this suggestion and chose a similar life as he had chose last night. The figure said as you wish and granted Leo his wish. Leo then lived another life with the name Chad. Chad was again very handsome and his father was another trillionaire. Chad lived a pleasant life to the age of 97 and then passed away. As soon as Chad passed away Leo then awoke to his life as a teenager. He then tried to explain what had just happened to his family as his friends did not believe him but they too looked at Leo as if he was crazy. This night Leo was excited to go to bed so he hopped into bed a bit earlier than normal. Once again the figure appeared before him. Only this time the figure explained to him that his next choice of the type of life he desired would be on a permanent loop. He could choose the life he wanted. And as the figure expected, Leo without any hesitation chose the life similar to what he had chose before.

The figure said, “As you wish,” and vanished.

Life went on for Leo in his dream and he remained in a sleep state living life after life. After about 100 loops of life, Leo awoke in his real life. He looked miserable. His eyes red. Hair all greasy and sweaty. The figure appeared in the corner of his room with his back facing Leo.

“Please, Please, PLEASE!!” cried Leo, “I was wrong about everything! Just make it go away PLEASE!”

But the figure didn’t move or respond to Leo. He just stood there staring at the wall.

After around 15 seconds of silence he finally responded with, “You know what they say, don’t you?”

“What?” asked Leo.

“Be careful what you wish for,” responded the figure.

The figure then disintegrated and vanished into the air. Leo then immediately fell back to sleep. The figure was never seen again. THE END.

I go to Palisades Charter High and was required to submit an outside piece of writing to a source