It's Just...Boring | Teen Ink

It's Just...Boring

December 15, 2019
By HernandezMelany BRONZE, Hemet, California
HernandezMelany BRONZE, Hemet, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is what it is."
--Sherlock Holmes
--John Watson


Mundane.

That’s my life in one word. Mundane. Everything was the same. It always was. I continued to walk the same rubbled sidewalk to my school with my same denim jacket over my grey blue hoodie. Nothing new. As I passed the trees filled with midnight blue and pitch black leaves, one leaf swiftly danced to my shoulder and took hold of it. I removed the leaf and admired the mixed colors that created a dangerous dark navy blue shade. The tree was called Malady, but I called it Immune. The Immune tree was always my favorite. The only tree with black leaves that weren’t diseased. Immune. Others prefer the Capital tree. The only tree that offers emerald colored leaves eventually forming currency. 

As I arrived at the final traffic light, a shadow loomed over my head. It was time. A large herd of black and white cows glided above leaving a small trail of sparkly, princess pink dust. I always went to school early so I never missed a day to see the usual creatures make their way to their breakfast. 

When I finally got to school, I was greeted by the regular crowd. As usual the teachers were checking bags and metal detectors screamed when metal was hidden in a student. When  I finally went inside, the bell sang a sinister song marking the beginning of a treacherous day. The hallways immediately became packed with backpacks, animals, books, pink gas, and elbow shoves. After dodging a mini UFO, I arrived at my first class: Biology.

Biology has always been my favorite subject. I would spend hours upon hours reading about Extinct Diseases such as cancer, STDs, Alzheimer’s, etc. Although they haven’t appeared in over hundreds of years, I’m still fascinated by them.

When class began, the lights were turned off and the pitch black desk illuminated with a white screen. I got my pen made of pure silver to write my notes. I looked at the other students’ pens and realized that most were made of diamonds rather than silver. After a boy noticed my staring, I quickly looked down feeling my face burn up with embarrassment, but I knew I could still be seen from the bright  blue light. When the teacher began the lecture, I gave a huge sigh. He chose the most boring topic: Plant Communication. Don’t get me wrong, Biology is great but it is repetitive and dull when it comes to Plant Communication. It’s the basics of basics. Two hundred years ago plants created a system of communication to contact humans. They used their roots and would form words to which humanity discovered (more like they were told) that the sole purpose of plants was to provide oxygen for humans in order for them to die. We become nutrients when we die providing for their needs. Perfect logical sense, no need to expand on the topic.

After the disastrous science class, I went to my history class. The lesson was on political conflicts during the 2020s. Another boring topic. My seat was in the back corner with the usual black spider crawling up to its home. The lesson eventually expanded to the president of the…. United States and to President Trump’s…..impeachment case. During that year...many conflicts...eventually Trump was….

I had fallen asleep.  It wasn’t a pretty sight. I was awkwardly woken up by one of my friends and after a few other periods, I went to lunch. 

During lunch I sat on one of the floating cubes made of water and suddenly out of thin air a plate with a perfectly medium-rare steak appeared. My other friends arrived  at the cube and began to eat and chat. My short friend with pale hair exclaimed with joy how she was going to a Cemetery Buffet. Everyone had their faces filled with joy, but I shot her a glare of jealousy. I am willing to have one of my close friends be dead so I have something new in my life, especially since it would allow me to go to a Cemetery Buffet. It would have been amazing to have go to a party not only celebrating the corpse set on a beautiful silver table in the  cemetery for it to decompose, but to just to get away from my dull life. 

As the conversation continued with my friend telling the others about the new expensive dress she will wear to the party, a group of students swaggered past the watery cube. They wore midnight black glasses and smug faces. I had always wanted to be part of their group. In a sense I was; I had the intelligence for it but not the money. Their glasses were one of the most expensive versions of the Seye Company. It allowed them to see the universe and every particle or ray whenever they put them on. I had the older version. Mine allowed me to see underwater and marine creatures. From ordinary vicious sharks and calm whales to the abstract mermaids and unnamed animals. It was all old stuff.  My desires were interrupted with the continuous screeches of the bell. With a grunt, I got up and went to my next period. 

My final period was English. I’ve always been fond of English, but not to the point of dedicating my life to it. My bubbly teacher greeted us and began to discuss our assignment. It was a terrible assignment. Each student had to write an essay describing how our lives are unique to ourselves and why we should appreciate it. When she spoke those words, I banged my head on the table making my mind throb with pain. I could feel the eyes staring at me but I didn’t care. What was I supposed to write about? My life was boring to the point I was ready to lie on a silver table and decompose. 

My family was completely dull. My parents had ordinary jobs: hunting serial killers. They would be gone most of the week tracking down creatures unable to act as a member of society. So basic. My oldest sister was a member of the CIA. Don’t ask how I know, but it still kind of sucks. My other older brother also has an okay career as the top human hacker in the world. Then again, aliens can do better. Finally, there was my six year old prodigy brother who was in the fifth grade. I guess he was the only interesting thing in my life. 

I  was soon consumed with anxiety and worrying about what I would write in my essay. My life isn’t as great as these other people. I’m not some amazing cheerleader wearing glorious golden outfits and having a unicorn as a pet. Their unicorns were awe inspiring with silky, smooth pink manes and sparkly white bodies. They even barked out bright rainbows. Instead, I had a pastel pink pig. I called it Fluffy. Don’t get me wrong, I love Fluffy especially when we go scuba diving (it was our favorite thing to do), but it isn’t as extraordinary as doing tricks with a unicorn during the loud and exhilarating pep rallies. I wasn’t like the popular kids wearing three billion dollar clothes made of liquid mercury from the famous company AlYou. I didn’t know any aliens nor do my parents work for any large alien owned company. I wasn’t even in the group with the smart kids in cool glasses. I was just there. A speck in the world that didn’t have any significance in their dull life.

The assignment pondered me until I arrived home. I noticed my parents’ silver glossy skimmer in the driveway, which was odd because it was Tuesday. When I went inside my house, I stopped with shock. My parents, sister, and youngest brother crowded a chair with fear in their eyes. My sister stepped aside and my heart sank as I saw my oldest brother revealed with a black and blue face. Blood dripped from his forehead and he could barely keep his eyes open. No matter how much I tried, I couldn’t manage to speak any words. Tears began to crowd my eyes blurring my vision until they poured down my cheeks. Finally, my mother approached me with a soft, gentle smile. She gave me a tight hug and whispered how my brother was jumped by men in black suits. Something about government information. No matter how many times she told me everything was going to be fine, I didn’t believe her as my father and sister used rubbing alcohol to remove the red stains on my brother’s face. 

After what felt like hours, I slowly walked up to my brother with red, puffy eyes. I tried to say something but my tighten throat kept my words captive. My brother looked at me with his swollen eyes and gave me one of his contagious grins trying to remove the worried expression on my face. He then told me how everything was going to be fine. No matter what, as long as you have family you’ll be okay in life. It’s great to live an adventurous or expensive life, but at the end of the day what makes life worth living is the connections and relationships you create. It’s about doing the things you love.

When he told me this, I knew he was talking about his career, but it was as though he knew everything I’ve been feeling, and suddenly everything made sense. I gave my brother the same grin and rushed to my room. My mind was filled with ideas as I threw my clothes in search for my laptop. When I finally found the black rectangle, I swung the top open and faced the black mirror. I stared at the mirror for a few seconds, smiling as I finally began to get an idea as to who I was. I may be an ordinary person. I may like to read and learn. The dull things. But those dull things is what makes me happy. I may not be rich or live a life filled with adventures but I still have family, and to me that was the most important thing. When I finally opened a blank white page, I began to type: Mundane.


The author's comments:

Our imagination is what makes reality interesting.