The carnival | Teen Ink

The carnival

Today's the day, it's Halloween. A few months ago Jason bought us some tickets to the largest carnival in our state. I have been looking forward to this day for a long time meaning my mom doesn't let me go out of town by myself. Today I'm 17 and she agreed to let me go for my birthday. Although I am terrified of clowns, I think I'm going to have an amazing time. Jason is picking me up in 10 minutes and we're going to get breakfast first. The carnival is about an hour away so we booked a hotel room. Jason had just arrived, I grabbed my bag and my purse and headed out the door. We decided to go to a small cafe down the street for breakfast. I got a breakfast sandwich and orange juice. After we were both done eating we left town. We were on our way to the carnival. We just jammed out to music for about an hour and we were pulling into the parking garage. We got out of the car and started walking towards the entrance of the carnival. As we're walking I suddenly got chills and the feeling that someone was watching me. I turned around and no one was there. I decided to ignore it and continued walking. We got our ride tickets and went to find something to do. “Let's go play some games first,” said Jason.  “Ok,” I said. So we headed towards all the games. “They really decorated this place well,” I said. Jason picked a basketball game of course. The person running the game was a clown. I decided to stay back and keep my distance. He won all of the rounds of the game. He got me a stuffed animal. When he was done I wanted to go on some rides. We got some food and went on the Ferris wheel. We just talked for a while and ate our food. And that's when I realized that in the cart behind us there was a clown.  He was smiling and waving at me. I got really freaked out and asked Jason if we could get out. So he asked the guy to let us out but when we came back down to the bottom the guy who was operating the ride was gone and a clown was controlling the ride. So we kept going and by the next time we came down we were getting out and the guy was back. So we got out and Jason suggested that we went to a haunted house. So as we approached the haunted house I heard a clown's bells and laugh. I got really freaked out but I couldn't turn around. My body just kept going. So as we were walking through figures came out of nowhere. I was confused as I had heard a clown before, so I thought to myself that it was all in my head so we kept going.  As we turned a corner I couldn't see anything. All of a sudden a clown popped out and I screamed. He had a knife and as he approached I couldn't move. My eyes filled with fear. The next thing I know the clown gets closer and moves slowly towards me. The clown accidentally cuts the side of my hand. I'm freaking out as blood drips down my hand. I couldn't move the clown all of the sudden disappeared.  I started not feeling well and I don't react to blood well. So I ran out of the haunted house, Jason asked me if I needed water. “I want to leave,” I said. So we started walking to the parking garage. As soon as I saw the car I saw something on the dashboard. I was really confused as nothing should have been there. When we got to the car I realized it was a piece of paper. “A note” Jason said. I opened the paper and I read it. I couldn't talk or even move for that matter. Jason took the note and read it out loud. “Maybe the cut will be deeper next time Clarice'', Jason said. I still couldn't do anything, “maybe this is all just a prank,” Jason said. “How could this be a prank, that clown actually cut me. Let's just go back to the hotel. I need to go to sleep”, I said.  We drove out of the parking garage and I looked back, behind the car was a clown. I screeched and told Jason to drive now. He stepped on the gas. As we left I had felt safer. We started heading to the hotel. Before we reached the hotel we stopped at Chick-fil-a. I got my food and drink but I didn't feel like eating anything after the whole incident. My hand was bandaged up cause the cut wasn't really bad. I just sat there waiting to get to the hotel. After a few minutes, we pulled up to the parking lot. We got out of the car and went to the front desk. We got to our room and I had felt safer and I got my pj's on and headed to bed. After a bit, Jason passed out. I thought I had been drifting asleep. I felt safe and happier. I just sat there for a bit relaxing. After tonight I will never return to that carnival again. That clown was terrifying. And I want to never see a clown again. I started falling asleep, and that's when I had heard something in the bathroom. It must just be the start of my dream Clarice thought to herself. The noise started getting louder and I didn't like the noise I was hearing. It sounded like scratching on the walls. And then I heard a giggle. Not just any giggle clowns giggle. I thought to wake myself up as this was all just a bad dream. So I sat up and it all stopped. The room was dead silent. So I lied back down and closed my eyes. The noise began again, becoming louder and louder. As I sat up again I had the feeling that I was being watched. I just sat there and that creepy feeling began to take over my body. I was really freaked out and turned on the lights. I thought that it was just in my dream so I just stayed up for a while. I just sat there and thought to myself. I'm just really tired and sleep-deprived. Just to be safe I grabbed my blanket and went to Jason's bed. He was passed out snoring. So I just stayed close to him. I felt safe with him. So I passed out and woke up to something cold on my leg just as sharp as the knife. I woke up screaming. Jason was still dead asleep. I got my shoes and ran outside thinking I just needed some sleep. But I couldn't go back to sleep in there. I ran to the car and it was locked. I looked around the parking lot and what I saw was unbelievable. The clown that had cut my hand was standing there smiling. I ran back into the hotel room and the room was red. All red, with pictures of clowns on the walls. I couldn't believe it. I tried waking up Jason but he didn’t move. I tried screaming, but nothing came out. I couldn't even move. The next thing I know is that I'm by the bathroom door screaming. I looked around the room and nothing had changed. All except Jason was gone. I didn't know where he had gone. I hadn't heard anything. I feel my body sinking to the floor. I just lie there waiting for something to happen. I had passed out.  When I woke up I was bleeding from the side. I looked up and there he was. The clown, he was just standing over me. I looked at him as I felt like I couldn't do anything. Standing above me he was smiling at me. He jumped up and down with joy. At that very moment, I passed out once again and woke up in critical conditions in the hotel bathroom with Jason in horrible conditions.

This piece that I have written is a thriller. It's Halloween, and Clarice is excited to go to a Carnival. She ends up having tragic events with a clown.