A Dream for Lady Luck | Teen Ink

A Dream for Lady Luck

May 22, 2021
By riyasandhu BRONZE, Vancouver, Other
riyasandhu BRONZE, Vancouver, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

          Wishing upon a star was always Mallory's downfall. She dreamed of everything the world could offer but never got anything. She grew up being told by her grandfather that if she wished upon enough stars, Lady Luck would be on her side and aid her. Her grandfather was wrong. Mallory recently turned twenty-one, and she had yet to have any of her wishes come true.

 

           The year was 2089, and Mallory was a scientist working in the tower just past town. The world had evolved over the years, and humans were now almost extinct. Mallory's family was one of the few that remained pure-blooded and did not want a connection with the alien race. Perhaps that was why Lady Luck never was on the same side as her; she was too different. Unlike her peers, Mallory was entirely human. She had dull brown hair and a matching set of eyes. Nothing about her stood out.

 

            Mallory had spent most of her teen and adult life attempting to make a potion to turn herself into an alien. She did not want to upset her family, so she kept it all under wraps. Nobody knew of her plans other than her poodle, Lucky.

 

           Mallory only ever dreamed of being an alien. Then she would finally fit in. She would not have weird stares while walking down the street to purchase a jug of milk or insults while she went for a daily jog. Being an alien would solve all her problems.

 

           Unfortunately, she was not having success with the potion. Each potion she had made so far resulted in an explosion and hair loss to her. Mallory spent extra late nights at the tower, trying to conduct a potion when her lamp began flickering rapidly.

 

           “Not again, fate. Why can you never be on my side.” Mallory murmured to herself as she went to the lamp, trying to stop the flickering.

 

           Mallory had turned her back for one moment to adjust the lamp when a crash sounded from the lab table. She turned to see that the potion she had been working on was now a puddle on the ground.

 

           Before she could clean up the mess, her dog had trotted up to the puddle and licked it. “Lucky, no!” Mallory's eyes widened as she watched the sight unfold in front of her.

 

            Lucky’s eyes widened before she hiccupped, and a swirl of silver spun around her. In just seconds, the once fluffy tiny poodle had turned into a human that was as elegant as a goddess.

           

“Why do I have such terrible misfortune? Of course, you get to be Lady Luck!” Mallory shouted.


The author's comments:

I got the idea for this piece from reading back on previous stories I used to write as a child, except this time when writing, I added a twist of my own.