The Prince's Awakening | Teen Ink

The Prince's Awakening

August 18, 2021
By larissacaps145 SILVER, Kirkland, Washington
larissacaps145 SILVER, Kirkland, Washington
5 articles 0 photos 17 comments

The Crown Prince stood up to his king, but nothing he said would change the mind of the greatest man in the country. He bowed to pay respects, slowly wiping the tear which dared so deeply to run the prince’s red cheeks. He had lost his sister that night and the king did not even care to pay his respects to his daughter. She wasn’t the queen’s daughter, you see, but still used to hold the kindest heart the prince has ever seen.

There were still lingering doubts about what had happened. The prince did not dare to even speak his sister’s name out loud in the throne room. His parents knew he would try again to tell what a wonderful kingdom he is to build when he’s king.

The queen gently moving her hand over the armrest of her throne, glanced over her oldest, narrowing her eyes ever so slightly. “Please, leave this room and study something useful. This country is too small to be great as you wish.” The prince had only parted his lips and closed them again after listening to what his mother had told him. The king agreed to his wife's saying, “Actions are the key, for words are meaningless.”

The prince nodded, leaving the room swiftly.

The prince’s arms were weak and his mind heavy with full regret. There was no freedom and no free will. Not even in his bedroom, where his betrothed was the first thing he saw when swinging his door open. He sighed at the sight of her and her full red lips closed into a thin line. Her arms were crossed over her chest, her blond hair loose over her shoulders, and her blue eyes showed nothing but how angry she was with him.

“Sometimes I do not understand what is up with you,” she started walking around the room, the silks of her pink dress spreading out as she sat down over his bed. “Please, tell me you have been looking over everything I have done, Jason.”

“I’m not up to listen to your lady talk,” he murmured, gesturing her to leave his bed.

“Lady talk?”

“Amelia, I’ve told you yesterday that you should leave,” he laid down on his bed.

Amelia let her arms loosely over her sides, placing a hand on Jason’s face. His features softened. He hated the fact he would have done anything for her. He would have moved the sky for her if it was necessary. He would have done anything to have her stand by his side. But she was his worse mistake. He was the only one who knew who was truly responsible for his sister’s death.

“You know we are done,” the prince said. “You’re free to find a new betrothed.”

“I am to be queen and I love you!” She reached out to him again, but he only moved away.

Jason trudged to the door. “Pack your bags and be gone by the afternoon.”

Amelia crossed her legs, raising her dress to sit in a confrontable position. “And if I don’t?”

“Then I’ll personally cut you lose.” Her eyes widened.

The prince stepped into the luxurious corridor of the castle and hasted to the garden. The flowers were just blooming and the grass was getting greener. He sat down by the small lake. The one whose waters were added every day and where no fish survived. Did he want to have the people in the country respecting him? Did he want to have Amelia sitting on the throne? How could he keep his mask on until his future children were to take his throne?

His father was always one step ahead of him, afraid of how the king-to-be would end up all traditions. The prince had to glance only once at his reflection in the lake to see the dark circles under his eyes, the visible and invisible scars stamped on his shoulders and neck like the symbolism of war. He could never forget the thick chains around his wrists. Ones only he could ever see.

The water moved slowly toward his fingers and when it finally touched it, its particles seemed to fly into the air. The prince stood up, waving his hand as the water followed the movements of his fingers. It was not new how connected he was to the water, and his parents hated it. Therefore, he could only get away from his chains when closer to the water. He was bound to it. And if the crown was to be over his dark hair, he would be the king, and water – as his best friend – would protect the country’s walls as it has protected his heart all those years. His sister would be proud because she was the only one who had seen him fall, and whenever his father asks about the country, the prince would say, “Words are meaningless, father.”


The author's comments:

In our world, people will always want to tell what your future is and even the ones closest to you will be "putting you in chains" so you are unable to fly higher than they ever did. It is important to remember that your potential to move forward will only depend on you.