The Sun and the Moon | Teen Ink

The Sun and the Moon

October 8, 2021
By Anonymous

May 25th, 2050, the day everything changed or should I say the night. On that day the sun never rose, the time kept changing but the moon stayed. Everyone was confused and worried for not seeing the daylight, it was all over the news. Around 1 o’clock, the news said to remain inside and to not look at the moon. People who stayed outside started acting differently, they were aggressive, had sharp teeth and parts of their skin would melt or come off. “If I am correct” said Rosemary, my sister, “they are turning into zombies”. Grace, my friend said, “don't be ridiculous there's no such things as zombies”. They did look like zombies, some of them even started attacking other humans. 

         We were fine until we heard this rumbling sound around the whole house. We checked the windows and saw zombies banging on the outside of the house. They banged and banged until they shattered the windows. Zombies were getting inside our house. We didn't know what to do, if we stayed inside we would get attacked and if we went out we might survive. Since they didn't react, I grabbed Rosemary and Grace by the hand and ran in between all of the sticky, slimy, and smelly zombies. We tried running but there's zombies everywhere, so we got into a dreadful and unpleasant dumpster. We had no choice but to get in or we would have been eaten alive.

         The zombies were still trying to get at us but we held the dumpster doors close shut. Finally we heard peace and quiet until Grace had a rat on top of her head, Rosemary shrieked to the top of her lungs which got us caught. Few seconds later we hear really clamorous and fast stumps coming our way, a zombie opens the dumpster and grabs Grace. I tried pulling her back but the zombie was more vigorous and rapid than me. Rosemary and I were going to help her but there were too many of them and we would have been dead in a matter of seconds. We just stood there like cowards and watched as they ripped her clothes off, tore her skin from her bones, cut her skin with their hair thin nails, and broke her bones. After they were done with her they stared at us with a hungry and desireful look. We both thought we were next till the sun finally came up. 

      The zombies started forming into humans again, it was as if the sun was they cure and the moon was poison. No one ever knew why the Sun didn't rise that day but not one single person has stood foot outside at night ever since.


The author's comments:

Wanting to know how humans bodies could react without sun inspired me to write this story.