With the Woods | Teen Ink

With the Woods

October 11, 2021
By nataliestern13 BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
nataliestern13 BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The girl was five years old when the woods first spoke to her. It was a crisp September day, and the leaves were just starting to engulf the forest floor in a sea of red, orange, and brown. It was after the first day of kindergarten when the girl came crashing through the woods. Not a lot of people visited the woods those days, and they were intrigued by the ball of energy that ran across the uneven ground. The woods watched the girl until she finally became tired and stood still. Upon further inspection, the woods noticed that the girl had tears streaming down her face, causing her to sparkle slightly in the dappled sunlight. The girl’s chest heaved as she tried to catch her breath, but she was unsuccessful because as soon as she calmed down, choking sobs escaped her. Exhausted, she crumpled to the ground without even finding a tree to lean against. The woods watched as she curled up into a ball and cried. The woods felt for this girl. They were worried about her and wanted to know what was causing her such distress. So, after a few minutes of trying to decide, the woods did something they hadn’t done in a very long time.

Hello, the woods whispered into the chilled air. The girl’s head snapped up and she rapidly searched for the source of the voice. 

“Who’s there?” she asked, her words shaking. The woods didn’t mean to scare her, but they understood why she would be frightened. After all, the woods didn’t speak to just anyone. 

I am the woods. You don’t need to be afraid; I won’t hurt you, the woods replied. 

“The woods?” the girl sniffed. “Like the trees and bushes?” 

Exactly. 

“But you’re only one voice,” the girl said, “and there are lots of trees and bushes.”

I understand your confusion, the woods replied. Think of me, this place as a whole, as a being. 

“Why are you talking to me? I’ve never talked to anyone but people before!” 

Well, I was worried about you and wanted to make sure you were okay. Can I ask why you were crying?

“Um. Today was my first ever day of school at the elementary school, and I didn’t make any friends. My mom said that I would make a lot of friends at school, but everyone I tried to make friends with already had other friends and didn’t let me play with them.” 

That sounds like a very difficult thing to deal with on your first day of school. I’m sorry you had to go through that. 

“Yeah, and my mom says that I just need to keep trying but I don’t want to if I’m never going to make any friends.” 

I certainly think that you’ll eventually make friends, but it may take some time. 

“But I don’t want to wait!” the girl whined, “I want friends now.”

I’ll tell you what, why don’t I be your friend?

“Really?” 

Really. 

“I think I’d like that.”

Me too! Can you tell me your name? 

“Um… my mom said to not talk to strangers.”

But you’ve been talking to me this entire time. 

“Well, yeah but maybe I shouldn’t tell you my name,” the girl sounded a bit weary still, but the woods knew she would eventually warm up. 

Alright, that’s okay. 

“Do you have a name?”

I don’t have a name, no. No one’s ever named me. 

“Huh. Well I guess I’ll just call you Woods.”

That is perfect. 

“Thanks for talking to me, Woods, and for being my friend! I should probably go back now,” the girl said as she stood up and started walking. 

Alright. I’ll see you soon, yes?

“Yep! Bye Woods!”

Goodbye little one. The girl took off towards the edge of the woods. The woods sighed in relief once the girl had passed the boundary of trees. They were happy to have a friend again after so many years. Maybe this one will stick around this time, the woods thought. 

As the years passed, the girl would visit the woods as often as she possibly could. She was there in all kinds of weather, no matter how cold, hot, windy, or wet it got. Contrary to what the woods had told her the first day they met, the girl never made any other friends. She felt as if the woods were the only friend she needed, and the woods were fine with that. Occasionally, as the girl grew older, she would ask the woods questions that they didn’t have the answers to. 

“What do you think I should do when I’m grown up?” the girl asked when she was eight years old. It was a partly cloudy day on the cusp of winter, and the air was growing colder every day. 

I’m not sure, the woods replied. 

“Me neither,” agreed the girl. “Maybe I’ll just live here when I’m grown up.”

You’re always welcome here, the woods said. And that’s how it went when the girl would ask questions pertaining to life outside of the woods. The woods didn’t know the answers, and they weren’t particularly interested in helping the girl figure it out. 

More years passed and the girl grew older. As she grew older, the woods noticed she was never happy. She would complain and cry to the woods about being lonely, which confused the woods. Aren’t I her friend? the woods would wonder. Aren’t I enough for her?

It was a week before the girl’s 18th birthday, and she had been unusually quiet when she would visit the woods for the past few weeks. 

Is something wrong? The woods asked. 

“What do you mean?” the girl replied. 

You’ve been distant lately; did I do something wrong?

The girl looked down and replied, “No you haven’t done anything wrong.” She was silent for a few minutes and then said, “I think I might have to leave you soon.” 

That took the woods by surprise. What did she mean? Weren’t they her only friend? Why would she leave her only friend after so many years? 

“I just… I just think it would be best for me.” 

I don’t understand, the woods replied. Why would you do this to me? The woods felt a panic rise in them. They didn’t want the girl to leave. They didn’t want to be abandoned again. 

“I’m not trying to do anything to you,” the girl sighed, exasperated. “I just need to move on with my life. I feel stuck and lonely when I’m here, and I don’t know how to fix it. I think leaving is my only option.” The woods looked at her. Her face was sparkling with tears, just as it was the first day they met, almost thirteen years ago. 

I don’t want you to leave, the woods said quietly. 

“I wish there was another way,” the girl said. They sat in silence until the sun went down, and the girl walked home. The woods grieved for the loss of the girl for many years and didn’t speak to anyone else who crossed the forest floor. 

The woods didn’t see the girl for ten years after that, and when she came back they refused to speak to her. She was doing really well, from what she told them. The woods missed her more than anything, and they wanted nothing more than to speak with her for hours on end like they used to. But they didn’t. They were silent and listened to what she had to say. Then she was gone, and the woods never saw the girl again. 


The author's comments:

My name is Natalie, and I'm 17. I wrote this piece for my Creative Writing class!