Reality 209 | Teen Ink

Reality 209

By larissacaps145 SILVER, Kirkland, Washington
larissacaps145 SILVER, Kirkland, Washington

I could have easily forgotten last night, but I wouldn't. My mother had been extremely careful when she told me about my dad and I had overreacted. Let's not kid ourselves! One does not find out the danger your father poses every day! As scary as it was, it was completely normal. Living in my area, criminal minds are as normal as eating pizza with your hands.

I have heard many things from my mother over the years, and none of it I have liked so far. She never has any good news for anything and all I can do is to think about how lucky other people are for having a normal family. The rest of my family is gone, as you should have guessed by now, and there is only my mom, my brother, and me. Sad, isn’t it?

It wasn't until Wednesday that I finally decided to get up. As usual, my mother had left for work before saying goodbye or anything else kind. Liam, my brother, was already eating cereal with milk at the table. Having started his teenage years as a real butthead, he didn't bother to look at me.

“Good morning,” I said, ignoring his rolling eyes and sighing. Liam disregarded me as he ate his cereal. He talked to his girlfriend almost every day and it was no different today, as his fingers typed the letters so fast in his cell phone, I couldn’t even make out the words. “Well, do you want me to drive you to school?”

Liam looked at me for just a moment before shaking his head. The only thing I did was pick up my backpack and leave the house. 

Initially, it should've been a normal day, and it was. My classes were great, and I spent time with friends. Later that afternoon, I hung out with my friends some more, only going home when it was getting late. I began avoiding going home on a regular basis.

As soon as I opened the door, there was silence. It was as if nobody had been there for weeks. I wandered around the place, searching for someone, but all I heard was an open faucet in the kitchen. Water was running out of the sink, which was full. Picking up a knife from a nearby drawer, I stormed into the living room, empty. Going up the stairs was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. After pacing around in the mall too much, my feet ached and my whole body shuddered.

The door to my mom's room was open and her bed was made as usual, but nobody was there. Despite searching my brother's room, he wasn't there. The only place where I could still go searching was my bedroom, and I didn't even have to open the door to see the silhouette of a man in black. He was slender and his hair was black, the color of my brother's who was sitting in my desk chair, a gun in his right hand.

“Dear Sarah, how can I ever repay you for your generous offer?” The man spoke with a deep and harsh voice as if he hadn't consumed water in days.

I was too confused to even understand what was going on, before raising the knife in my hands. Suddenly, the man started laughing, a laugh that I knew everywhere. It belonged to my father. Were it not for something he really needed, he never showed up at the house, and I was afraid he had already discovered it.

“I didn’t offer you anything, father.”

Playing with the gun in his hands, my brother swung his feet over my bed. He did not say anything, but his eyes were plain. Deep breaths, Sarah. Liam could’ve been any kinder, but he was my father’s son. A disgusting creature who is only interested in benefits for itself.

“You know what I’m talking about and I’m here to take it.”

“And what is that?”

My father’s brow furrowed, a smile playing on his lips. “Sweetheart, everything will be easier if you give me what I want.” 

“And what is that?” I asked again.

The gun in Liam's hand hit the table loudly. With vicious eyes, he leaped on his feet, ready to kill me with his big hands; he halted when my father placed a hand on his chest. Liam crossed his arms across his chest as he backed out. While trying not to look at my father's brown eyes, I focused my attention on his feet. He walked towards me, his slender fingers wrapping around my arm as he shoved me against the nearest wall.

“Okay sweetheart. I don’t want to hurt you, but you give me no other choice.” 

I slid my knife's blade over his hand then ran. As he shrieked in pain, I heard him shout orders to my brother. My heart was racing before I had a chance to go near the nearest door. If my brother were to run for me, he would certainly be faster than I’ll ever be able to be. However, I kept going, one foot in front of the other, trying not to think about my little brother. The one who was easily brainwashed by my father, and whose heart would never love me or anyone else again. My father had infected his mind like countless others, but I wouldn't be one of them.

After I stepped outside, I did not have to wait long for my brother to appear, squinting his eyes in the sunlight. I opened my mouth for only just a second to say anything, but nothing came out. Even though they were the weirdest family alive, I couldn't bear to hurt Liam. Not him.

“Sarah, step forward and give it to me.” He stepped forward.

“You wouldn’t kill me, Liam. I know you wouldn’t. He bewitched you to believe I was the threat.” He raised his gun at me. “LOOK AT ME LIAM! I’M YOUR SISTER!”

“My sister is dead. You’re a fake version of her.”

If I hadn’t been crying already, I would’ve laughed, for his answer was the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. “You don’t believe, do you?” He did not blink. “Well, if you say so, maybe Sarah is dead…”

Liam tilted his head to the side, his beautiful blue eyes gleaming in the sunlight.

“You’re right. She is very much dead and I can tell now because the oldest Sarah would never dare to hurt her little brother.” He frowned. I closed my right hand into a fist. He fell to his knees as his eyes turned white. Robots. We have become that, and my brother is dead. Both he and Sarah were gone. I didn't have to worry about anything else but myself. Just for a moment, I closed my eyes.

Go back inside and kill him. Standing up, Liam paced inside the house with his hand on the gun. I’m sorry.

How easy could it have been to order your own brother to kill your father? Well, after everything, it was not so hard, but I know it. Everything has to come to an end, and Mars was over like Earth. We would move to another planet to destroy it, and I would be present as it occurs and afterward. Till we are no longer human, I shall be there.

My whole body twinkled as I saw lightning forming in my hands and could see through my brother's eyes as he pulled the trigger. Except he didn't. He wouldn’t. Not in my reality. Everything around me twisted, including the image of the house. Suddenly, the sun disintegrated into a million particles, and everything ended with a snap of the fingers. 

Sitting at my house, I studied the picture of a wormhole and its equation. 

This is probably my first sci-fi-related story where a girl finds a way to control space-time with her mind. The future looks very different from what everyone thought it would be.