Be Careful What You Wish For | Teen Ink

Be Careful What You Wish For

By kimberlyibarra BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
kimberlyibarra BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas

The family of three just moved from Downtown Houston in Texas to a small town in Nevada called Caliente. The small town has a population of 1,000 people, they thought it was a great place to raise their daughter Gracie. Gracie is a shy girl, she never really made friends in her old school. She always wanted to move somewhere that is new in hopes of making new friends. When she found out that she was moving, she was super excited. Little does she know; that things are about to take a turn. 1,000 miles after, they got to their new house. Expecting to live in a great neighborhood, they got home to a house on the plains. “Mom where are we?”, Gracie asks. “I don’t know, Jack are you sure this is the right address?”, Marie asks nervously. They all were confused, but Jack wanted to give it a try because he always dreamed about living in the countryside. It was an antithesis of what they thought they were going to come home to. Marie was feeling blue because she did not like the house. The first few nights were hard to even wake up to. Except for Gracie, she loved her new house. She thought it was super small yet so comfortable. Gracie loved nighttime because she noticed that an owl watches her sleep outside her window. She thought it was cool that an animal was watching her sleep just like the movies. Marie loves reading books. After she tucks Gracie to bed, she usually to stays up for a bit and read her books. She read books so she can dawdle. Books calm her down, especially since she’s in a new house. Jack was making himself tea before he heads to bed. Suddenly the door was knocked. They both looked at each other confused since they both thought about who would be at the door this late. Jack opens the door, but no one is at the door. “Jack who is it?”, Gracie asks nervously. “I don’t know, maybe it was the wind,” Jack says. They both head to bed, Marie was worried, but she didn’t want to worry Jack. A few days later, Marie and Jack were finally adapting to their new home. Then suddenly one day, they saw Gracie sleepwalking. Gracie never sleeps walks, Marie and Jack were confused. They proceeded to slowly put Gracie back in bed. While putting Gracie back in bed, Jack noticed the owl standing in the tree outside Gracie’s window. “Look Marie, the owl must protect Gracie while she sleeps,” Jack says. “That is so sweet,” Marie responded.

The morning after Marie went on a walk. She came across a big warehouse that was gated with multiple signs at the entrance. Some signs said, “No entry” or “private property.” She thought it was strange that a big building is near her house. She proceeded to walk back home, “Jack, have you seen the big gray building near the house?” Marie asks. “No, I have not seen it,” Jake replies. They were both confused about why is there a big building in the middle of nowhere. “They are probably building more houses here,” Jack says. After Jack said that Marie felt convinced.

The night approaches, and it’s time for bed. When Marie went to go tuck Gracie to bed, Gracie looks out the window and says, “Mom, the owl isn’t here anymore.” Gracie was a bit sad because her favorite owl was not outside her window. “Maybe he found a new place to sleep,” Marie says. Gracie felt tired, she began to fall asleep. While Gracie was asleep, she heard a knock outside her window. Gracie woke up and checked her window and it was no one. She isn’t really the type of person to get scared, she proceeded to go back to sleep. Five minutes later, she heard another knock. Gracie wakes up and checks again. She saw something very tall and dark; he was dark like a black hole. She got scared and ran back to her bed and hit under her covers. She then hears stomping noises; she peaks through the sheets. The tall dark thing was standing there. It appears to be an extraterrestrial being, he puts his hand out in her face and starts to possess her. Gracie starts screaming, “Mom! Dad! Help!” Marie and Jack come into her room, “Gracie! What’s happening!” They saw anything more bizarre than this. She started to act capricious. Gracie starts ascending, her parents approached slowly to Gracie. They tried to wake her up.

Marie and Jack looked at each other very scared. Gracie was surprisingly still half awake. She was trying to snap out of it. She slowly started pointing next to her window. Marie and Jack both look at her hand, then looked at the direction Gracie was pointing at. No one was there. They were so terrified, that they turned white as sheets. Her parents ran to call the nearest paramedics. When Jack came back to Gracie’s room, she was not there anymore. The room was quiet like a dead soul. She was never found. The owl was back by the window.

This is all fiction.