Fratcherson | Teen Ink

Fratcherson

November 4, 2022
By Anonymous

In the year 3002, the Earth has been cleansed of all unfavorable emotions. Nobody would ever experience any sensations of sadness, rage, resentment, fear, or disgust. As the general stated, this contributes to a better world. That is managed by a mine type device being planted in their heads to prevent unhappy thoughts. 

Of course it does, the general, Fratcherson, said—there are no more wars, no more fights, and there is only pure happiness.

Though some things in the world are still not quite right, everyone always has to take anyone’s advice, or else it would become a catalyst for world corruption.

That is fine. Fratcherson said. I know everyone’s probably equal, but some people can be more equal than others.

And now the global temperature is 80 degrees, therefore everyone has been going to the beach.

Of course, Fratcherson always has to carp in the middle: Now that just makes the perfect day ever! I sure do love that now the beach manager makes thousands of dollars per day and not me.


And here it is: Spencer Marlon, the only bald man without the device in his head, lay in Fratcherson’s center, senseless from the aftereffects, almost about to breathe his last. Meanwhile the general is rethinking his thoughts on a stool next to him.

Look at this coterie of tiny bugs forming a pyramid; aren't they lovely? Fratcherson said.

Spencer turned his head around, just wishing that his wife, Zoe, would be here. He drank a sip of the clinic’s soup, but instead would love the paella Zoe makes at home.

Fratcherson left the room; instead, a nurse came in. Spencer’s vision was blinded; he thought it was Zoe. He tried to stand up and hug, but in the middle of getting up from his gurney, he felt like he was shot with an arrow.

He fainted and passed away face-down on the cold floor.


I’m bewildered—what happened here? Zoe came into the room a minute later.

What happened? Fratcherson came into the room again.

I don’t know; that’s what I’m asking.

Are you sure?

Yeah, it’s kind of all mixed up in my mind…

I could tell he was appalled. The nurse came into the room.

He didn’t see eye to eye with me, Fratcherson replied.


The author's comments:

My set piece is based off of Vonnegut’s third-person story, a dystopian world, with some removal of quotation marks from Raymond Carver’s. The end of the story is an easy interpretation. I tried to make the story funny without being too revealing of it. E.g., the mine inside the criminal didn’t grow because he was bald, which is why I used paradox and irony, which would add more humiliation to the piece.