Vibrant Doesn't See It | Teen Ink

Vibrant Doesn't See It

By shreekrithi_d1329 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
shreekrithi_d1329 BRONZE, Cupertino, California

It was 2078; people woke up to see that they couldn’t see color all of a sudden. In 2077, people could see more colors than a mantis shrimp. Which could have seemed insane in 2022. They couldn’t only not see color before the Color Snatcher and the law. They couldn’t see color anywhere. Now; everything; just lifeless; black and white. Nobody could argue about selecting their favorite cupcake frosting color. But people could still judge each other's fastapic profile pictures. A social media platform popular in the 2070s. They just had to ask, smartball, smartball, on a stick, who has the finest profile pic? All this color blindness was due to the 345th, 456th, and 567th laws of color blindness, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Color Snatcher. Some things about seeing still weren’t quite right, though. It was during a weekend, on a morning when the streets were still vacant and the dew was patterned and crisp across the neighborhood fences. Roses and carnations in the garden fluttering and dancing in the cool breeze, washed by dew, sparkling in the golden hour. April, for instance, drove people crazy by not being able to see color. Now; everything; just lifeless; black and white.

“Color-blind”, the people without the ability to see the beauty of the marvelous colors. They still had to know which fruit they were buying. A year ago; fresh ripe red strawberries, tart emerald green apples, bright pink fleshy watermelons, sweet plump table grapes. Now; everything just lifeless; black and white. Of course, most people could still recognize the faces of their friends and family. Of course, nothing would ever be perfect; there were still problems. People were angry that they couldn’t see the calming sun rise and set anymore.

When you can’t see the color of your t-shirt, why would you care about the Mona Lisa painting? Now; everything; just lifeless; black and white. Observing things wasn’t something that Vibrant Viber did a whole lot of. He was an ordinary boy just like others. But there was one thing about him that made him unique from others. Vibrant didn’t mind that he couldn’t see color, because he still enjoyed his life. Instead, the warmth that he felt during the sunrise and sunset; when the cool breeze touched his face; when the waves on the sea shore rolled to his feet and kissed it. When the sweet floral fragrance notes filled his nostrils, during spring. But even if he couldn’t see the smiles on his loved ones, he could still sense the love, affection, and deep attachment of his family.  He could still taste the apples as tarty as before; mandarins as tangy as before; and grapes as plump as before. He was lucky. Very lucky. His days were free of doubt, worry, and pain.

With this set piece, I’ve decided to incorporate the writing style of Kurt Vonnegut. You will notice that I established the setting or background at the beginning of the story, just like Vonnegut. In this story, the Color Snatcher takes away the ability of people to see color, and people are angry and frustrated about it. Whereas a boy named Vibrant Viber isn’t minding this inability. He is untroubled by this and chooses to enjoy his life. I also used a literary device in my set piece; repetition. I repeat the line, Now; everything; just lifeless; black and white, to emphasize that before everyone had complete color blindness, everything was vibrant and lively. I tried to be a little humorous like Vonnegut in the first paragraph, but it just didn’t seem like my thing. Instead I included more vivid language overall than humor. My favorite part of the story is the last paragraph where I described the things with vivid words that made Vibrant Viber enjoy his life.