The Purple House On Murphy High Lane | Teen Ink

The Purple House On Murphy High Lane

December 15, 2022
By Anonymous

Sally was a quiet girl who kept to herself. She always read the books that lay on her bookshelf. She would read, and read, and read some more, and when she was done, she’d start again, just on the floor. She stayed in her room reading away while all the other kids went out to play. She would read through dinner and past her bedtime.

She read so much she knew a crazy word called “ceftazidime.” One day, however, when she went to go read, she found a lever of a completely different breed. It was shiny and had a point on top, but before she could pull it, a sound made her stop. She turned around and went downstairs when she saw her parents playing a game of Musical Chairs. She asked, “What are you guys doing?”

But the stereo just kept on spewing. The music played and played, and Sally began to get very very afraid. Running back upstairs, she slammed her door, but all she could hear was her parents walking on the floor. Suddenly, the music stopped and Sally quickly put the key in her door, so that she could get it locked. The music started up again, louder than before and her parents continued to walk around on the floor.

She needed to do something, but what? She didn’t know. Maybe she could wait till it started to snow, then when the weather was nice and cold, her parents would stop before they turned into bread mold. “Yes,” she thought, “that was the answer!” It might take so long that she might be able to learn Nancere. Unlocking the door and going back down the steps, she saw that her parents were now doing reps.

Turning swiftly around she dashed to her room, and slammed the door with a big, loud KABOOM! She ran towards the lever and pulled it, feeling quite clever. Her room suddenly began to spin. It spun faster and faster. Then everything was still. Absolutely still.

 


When she awoke, her head was aching and the pain just kept on breaking. Like waves on a beach. She sat up, causing more pain, and a sound in her mind that sounded like a train. It shook her to her core. It hurt so much that she swore.

Looking around she saw only darkness, but in the darkness, she saw starkness. No couches, chairs, or stairs. It was a blank prison that was shaped like a prism. Suddenly, the wall next to her opened up. When she looked outside it was as if she was in a completely new world.

A bird, or what she thought was a bird, flew across the sky, one of its orchid feathers falling to the ground. Sally dashed towards it, picking it up before turning around to return back to the safety of the house. She stopped before she even took a step. The house was massive, with a wrap-around porch and gothic windows. The shade of purple used to give this house its frighteningly gorgeous color was #e300db.

Sally had spent an embarrassing amount of hours studying paint chips, though as she walked forward a word formed on her lips. ‘Mothe-” Just then she came to a realization and that realization caused deflation. She didn’t remember why she was where she was. Why her head hurt, she knew not the cause, and the longer, it seemed, that she stayed in this place, the more her memory of her old home began to erase. She knew she had come from somewhere and had something, she just wished it would come to her, along with an audible ‘ding’.
 
Turning away from the gorgeous purple house, she looked across the way, to see an old farmhouse. Gasping with glee, she sprinted away faster than the eye could see. She bounded past bushes and creatures quite vile and she knew what happened next would be quite the trial. She made it not 56 yards before she collapsed for her legs were as weak as a camelopard’s. She looked far off to the farmhouse beyond, of its color she was quite fond.

#7c0a02 was the exact name. Quickly she snapped back to reality, feeling a bit of shame. She was someone, that she knew. She had to find out who she was, but she needed a clue! Standing back up, she continued her trek, continuing to feel the soft pain in her neck.

She ran and ran and, ran some more, before promptly plopping herself upon the floor. She panted, gasping for air. She knew she must continue, she mustn't not care. She stood up again, ready for more pain when a sharp stab destroyed her brain. She crumpled to the ground, a sad, lonely heap before she fell into a sleep that was quite deep.


The author's comments:

I feel that this is one of my best pieces.