A New Life | Teen Ink

A New Life

January 10, 2023
By carolinetauser233 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
carolinetauser233 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A New Life


Sephra’s verdant green eyes peered over the kingdom out of the stained glass window. As the moon started to emerge from concealment, the sun set and became completely dark. It appeared as if the stars were aligned in the right position, or as they always were, though she thought.

 She made her way down the broken, cracked, steps holding the railing and taking each move slowly. The crooked picture on the white painted wall caught her view, and she moved it upright with the slightest touch. She slithered to the door and stepped outside into the darkness, where she was greeted by the potent aroma of autumn. Everything was destroyed: pillars lay lopsided on the concrete shaped floor, plants were pulled up from their roots, and the golden bridge collapsed into the deep river that ran across the fallen architecture. 

She questioned whether everything that occurred had a purpose. Was this what she deserved? Was this what she needed to hear from the universe? 

She felt as though a piece of her was absent, and that her body had been scooped up and ripped to shreds. Bordera was the only friend she’d ever known. She was the only individual that genuinely understood her. Bodera was raised in a lifeless tale with no one to teach her the stages of growing up as a demon. She suddenly wondered if Bodera would have discovered her power sooner, if her parents didn’t abandon her like they did. This discouraging discomfort was present in Sephra’s head and abdomen. 

Her soul was gradually returning to the one she knew prior to meeting Bodera. Their twin flames were one another. Nothing could separate these two spirits who were destined to be together. If one was pulled away from the other, they would quickly discover a way to region the whole. However, under these circumstances, this would not occur in this world anymore. But rather in a different, mesozoic, era.

 It was after nightfall, and she could hear the distant noise of mermaidactals emerging from the trees. These little creatures resemble a cross between a mermaid and a pterodactyl. Their bony wings gave them the ability to fly, and their scaly fins aided in their navigation. Sephra imagined what it would be like to be them, to fly above the green and blue sphere with no worries. She sat next to the pile of ash crumbled heaps, gazing up at the tiny bright lights that she would soon be parted with. 

The memory of Bodera shot bright, vivid flashbacks into her stone cold mind. She was aware that her heart was filled with grief and depression. But her mind kept telling her to keep looking up at the ocean of black, to distract herself from what was now reality. 

       After a few weeks, Sephra had the impression that the kingdom was deserted. The sage trees whispered in the wind and the plants withered due to a lack of sunlight. It was the beginning of November, and the air was crisp and delicate. The tangerine and scarlet colored leaves danced until they reached the saute foundation. She heard the sound of decrepitated thunder in the distance; a storm was brewing. Droplets fell freely from the heavens. The river would slowly begin to flood, forming puddles across the mountains.   

Sephra made her way back into the kingdom while the sound of rain grew louder. She walked up the same cracked steps up to the dining room. She tried to forget the memories that kept creeping into her mind every single day. She assumed that ignoring them would make it go away, but this was not the case. She was alone and knew that her previous life, which was once alive, was now mortal. It was an instant destiny for her to start again; to build up the broken pieces that were lost in remembrance.

 She got up, and strolled to the same stained glass window. The glass was beginning to break, and the vibrant colors had started to fade. On the same stone surface outside, the identical, cooked pillars were vertical. The truth was that nothing had changed. The fish were no longer pleased to be the proprietors of the clearwater stream, and the mermidactals fled in droves in search of a new home as the cedar oak trees twisted each branch into a helix of regions.

 As if Bodera had never left the world of existence, Sephra sensed the presence of another soul in the empty domain. Even though Bodera wasn’t there, the soul connection had grown stronger with time, and Sephra knew that the shadow inside of her would soon become her long-lost sibling. She had to find another way to fill the void, even if it took time or if it occurred in a new idea that would soon be generated. 


The author's comments:

This piece is part of a group story that my creative writing class did. We have to write a fantasy story, as we each had different parts to write. My part was towards the end. It was about a dragon named Sephra who lived in a kingdom. Bodera was her best friend, who was a demon. Bodera was killed in the Battle of Wallus.