And Stars Fell (Imprinted Earth Part 2) | Teen Ink

And Stars Fell (Imprinted Earth Part 2)

By Nix-Rosegold SILVER, Rochester, New York
Nix-Rosegold SILVER, Rochester, New York

Being weird is being different and being different is good!!!!

PART 2

★★★★★★

"Oh my gosh, guys, you won't believe this-'' Starlet begins with laughter in his bright green eyes. The others look at him, slightly amused.

"What, Starlet?" Sundrip asks, going with the rouse.

"You might find this hard to believe… but I used to live with aliens!" He says to his friends. They all laugh some. The twins grin brightly. 

"Star, you technically are an alien." Sundrip replies, smiling. 

Starlet gives a slight chuckle. "Fair enough." He replies. The twins chime in.

"Yeah! Weren't you born on a different planet?" They say.

"Well, spaceship, technically. It was quite something. Didn't expect to make it long."

Starlet corrects, adding on.

"How would you remember that!" Ryker comments.

"Yeah! How would you!" Stryker agrees.

"I don't know, really, but I do."  Starlet replies. "Hmpf, how far do you remember then?!" Stryker asks. "Tell us more!" Ryker adds. 

"Settle down, you two." Dustwalk tells the twins. They frown. Starlet laughs some.

"How about we just let Starlet tell his story, okay?" Sundrip suggests. 

"Fiiiiine." The twins surrender in unison. 

"Thank you, Sundrip." Starlet gives a smile just for her. To that, Sundrip's cheeks turn a little pink. Then, Starlet goes on to tell his story. 

STARLET:

≛❍≛❍≛❍≛❍≛

The Earth date was about August 11th, 2184. This was sixteen years ago, when the ship reached its destination of, what we call Kronos-46, and the native population, called Merokreotis. How I remember this, I'm not sure, it's strange. A child, me, had to be born mid spaceflight (they had to land on a wandering asteroid briefly) due to the rush and chaos to board the one year trip. This was because the world as my parents had known it, was practically ending. I spent the earliest months of my life on the spacecraft. We were confined to a mostly secured room for a while. That was, until I started walking. It was extremely early for an infant of my age. It… certainly shocked my parents. Certainly, it gave them quite a shock. Once there, I was mostly within a base, or settlement on the planet for the beginning of my life. I lived on Kronos-46 for….. approximately seven years, until my parents decided it was necessary to take us back to Earth. Or more specifically, the Underground. I'll move on a bit. 

★★★★★★

Throughout all my time on Merokreotis, my parents strongly cautioned me to stay within the base. The natives on the planet were not particularly hostile, the only thing was that the air was toxic to humans, and we were required to wear breathing mechanisms. I did not particularly like to wear those mechanisms however. Still, I always longed to traverse the other side of the planet. Everyone said it was a dangerous world outside of the base. Even so, I knew the language of the locals just the same as my own. I could piece together the meanings, because it just seemed to make sense. 

But still, I was required to remain in the base and areas where air was breathable. I often found myself gazing out the windows at the alien landscape. It was all I knew then, the shimmering landscape. 

I couldn't imagine any sight more beautiful. The trees of Merokreotis looked like they were made of crystal. The plant life too, and the natives, all crystalline.

The Kreotian people were incredible. Their skin ranged from shades of blue to shades of purple, some greenish and more. Their hair was also a variety of colors, some black, mossy green, golden, silver, to name a few. They were tall and lean. The clothing the Kreotians wore seemed like it was woven from shimmering scales, glinting different colors as light hit them. Several also wore masks, I believe they're the hunters. The masks hide their true faces but change to match their expressions. So strange, yet so incredible, being made from what seemed to be a crystalline material the same as the planet's trees, yet polished and manicured. I don't know how the masks matched their expressions, I yearned to find out but never did. Funny story on that note. 

That yearning to find out took me on a little misadventure, predating the one that changed everything. But that part is later. That first little misadventure featured me forcing one of those irritating breathing devices. Then, maneuvering my- little toddler body at the time, far too slow for my mind, out of the bases and labs and out to the alien world. I wandered, much slower and less than I wanted to, but found myself meeting a hunting party. Well, less meeting, more nearly getting trampled by their Adoris.

Now, Adoris are these large, regal creatures that live on the planet. To put it into context of what you might know on Earth , they're lizard-like creatures, but not with scales, just a smooth, crystalline appearing surface, even though it's actually soft. They have crowns of feathers adorning their heads, often run on two legs, but with wings coming off their front two limbs. It isn't easy for them to take off directly from the ground, so they more often dove from higher places in order to fly. 

Anyways, what the hunters were after were these rodent-like things called Klaed. Except, they have scales, frills on their backs and necks,  and were big enough for me to ride. The Adoris stopped in their tracks, and let out a sort of combination of a screech and a squawk. The Kreotian hunters murmured amongst themselves to ease their steeds. I could hear what they were saying, some were not too pleased about being stopped. "Ho there! Easy!" One said. 

"What has stopped us?" Another added. 

"I'm sure you'll catch right back up. The Klaed often rest a few turns  up ahead. Then, just around the bend there, they're cornered. They aren't too bright." I spoke up, in full Kreot, moving out of the path of the Adoris.

The hunters looked around in confusion for a moment. 

"Who said that?" The head demanded. I noted they were female. She was the closest to me. "Over here." I replied. Their heads turned all snapped in the direction of my voice, still not quite spotting me. I rolled my eyes. "Down here." I informed them. The lead hunter looked down, taking a bit of effort. She had a significantly long braid that almost reached my location with her lean downwards. Still, not exactly seeing me yet. I reached to touch her braid, but I couldn't even reach it. So, I ended up tapping one of her feet. They were sort of hoof-like, but also almost spurred to be capable of climbing efficiently and swiftly just as they move. The lead hunter finally looked enough to see me. The eyes of her mask went wide at the image of a tiny human, couldn't be any more than four, waiting down near the feet of the Adoris. 

I looked up at her, my eyes were blue then, they changed when I came to Earth. Maybe it was the different atmosphere, maybe it was just that everything seemed brighter on Merokreotis. "Hi there." I said simply.

Her mask raised an eyebrow. "How do you know all of this, little one? Our language too?" She asked, the other hunters murmured in agreement. I gave a tiny shrug. 

"I study. Not much else to do stuck inside all the time." I replied. I was the only human of my age on Merokreotis, so I simply assumed all children my age were like me. Never got why everyone seemed so surprised by me until I got to Earth. But anyhow. 

The hunters exchanged looks for a moment, talking quietly among themselves. I tried to avoid listening in on them, it seemed between them. But soon, the lead hunter looked back at me. Though, she appeared to search around to make sure I'd actually been there. I was still present. She examined me for a second. "What is your name, little one?" She asked me. I shrugged. 

"Starlet. Am I allowed to know yours?" I replied, tilting my head slightly. 

"It is Tretet. But for now, we should get you back home, Starlet the human." She told me.

"I don't-" I started, but she already had made a motion and the hunters began rearranging. One of them stepped down from their Adoris. I kind of just stared at them. "Hey- come on!" I slightly complained. The hunter didn't answer and simply lifted my tiny self onto the lead hunter's Adoris. I went to complain some more but I wasn't going to pass up an opportunity to ride an actual Adoris. They were so much more interesting than the vehicles the humans used to get around. Those were similar to bikes in nature. But instead of using wheels they floated. Something about using the unique metals that make up the planet's surface as a magnetic stabilizer combined with engines, steering and boosters to propel it across the planet. 

✻✻✻✻✻✻

[Stryker: "English, please, Starlet." Ryker: "Yeah," Starlet rolls his eyes a moment. "Special metals and rocket boosters make the bike go zoom." Twins: "Ah."]

✻✻✻✻✻✻

I figured out how to work them, much to my parents' displeasure. Anyways. I admired the Adoris before glancing up to the lead hunter. 

"Can I pet it?" I asked. She seemed amused.

"Go ahead. Her name is Shynne." Tretet replied. I was surprised by her allowing me to. I now realized yes, this Adoris was indeed a female. It was also the biggest of their rally (it's what you call a group of Adoris), and the wings were gray, while the wings of the males ranged between various pinkish colors. I smiled under the breathing device. 

"Thank you." I told her. Tretet did a dismissing motion. I then turned to Shynne. "Hello, Shynne." I said softly, stroking the creature. It made a gentle noise, seeming to enjoy that. I gave a smile, the Adonis had this softness to it even though its camouflaged feathery coat looked as though it was made out of crystals. As if diamonds were grounded up and sprinkled upon each creature. 

Tretet soon rallied up the hunters and their Adoris. 

"Let's go." She called to them, waving a motion. The Adoris went forth now. 

"Could I offer another idea to help with your hunt? To make up for the time I've cost?" I asked softly.

"I'll listen." The lead hunter replied. I was seated in front of her, holding close to Shynne's curving neck. On Earth, you'd liken it to a swan's. 

"Remember what I said about the Klaed? Come from above them and straight on. Mind the cliffs." I explained, though ending up a bit cryptic. Tretet processed the words, seeming to easily piece them together.

"Very well then. Now, simply focus on getting home, boy." She said after a while. I slowly nodded my head. 

"Okay… " and with those words I focused on the running of Adoris on the planet's glistening surface. It was incredible how they moved, wings cutting through the air as their feet moved like the wind. 

But, that experience didn't last long. I was soon back at the base. My parents ushered me in once I was returned, mad but also relieved I was fine. My memory blacks out shortly after the moment I got home. When I went to go outside a day later I was met by a scolding. Apparently, I'd been forbidden to for quite a while and I hadn't realized. See, there's this strange thing about my memory. Most times, I remember things down to the tiniest of details. But others, it's a complete black out. I don't know why, maybe it's because I was born in abnormal circumstances. That's the one thing I can't figure out. I'll be in the middle of something, then suddenly there's a gap. Sometimes it's mere seconds, sometimes minutes, and even hours. I dread if it ever reaches to a day. 

But anyways, I'd been forbidden from going outside of the base for a month or two. I still heavily studied the planet and everything about it. I'd somehow managed to get my hands on a hunter's mask. I don't remember how I got it exactly…  probably one of my blackout instances is to blame. I could assume maybe Tretet had left it for me, the guidance I'd given must've been successful. I studied and studied that as well. When I wore it once my parents scolded me and took it away. That halted my research so I couldn't figure it out yet. But I found the mask, of course, and hid it myself.  My parents did not ever find it. Maybe they'd hoped it'd vanished. 

The thing is, I didn't attempt to go to the outside world again for a year. At least, that I recall. That one was brief, I only had seen a young Kreotian, that would be about my age, and gave a wave. She was a little girl, and I tried to do a little trick for her, but ended up falling on my bum. She had raised a hand to her mouth as if to cover a giggle. I smiled slightly, though her parents soon ushered her away.  Some of the natives did not like us. We were but refugees on their home planet. It failed to bother me though. I mostly kept to myself. Starting to prefer learning information and studying rather than going and mingling with others. But then, the following year was a different story. That was when I dared try to go out again. My next encounter with Merokreotis, would change the direction of my life drastically.

✶✶✶✶✶✶

Then, I was six. My knowledge and ambition had grown drastically. Sometimes, the fact made my parents a bit uneasy, and unnerved the other adults around me. I didn't reach that conclusion easily, but a part of me kept seeing looks in people's eyes. It didn't bother me, of course. I knew some people just had simplistic minds. 

Fueled by desire to learn more,  I waited for when my parents were distracted by their 'adult' scientific work. Botany and engineering to be specific, I set out, wearing my breathing device and the gear necessary. There wasn't too much gear, just the breathing device and a layer of specific clothing for extra protection. I started by running towards the crystalline forest. There,  I disappeared into the trees. 

I looked around at the sights in amazement. Alien creatures, some small, some larger but gentle. I unfortunately wandered in the path of a small herd of Klaed. It was more of a flash that followed. I got headbutted by one of them, more to my gut, too small to take it like an adult or Kreotian would. It knocked the 'air' out of me and off my breathing device. Sent hurtling at one of the logs from the crystalline trees. It was a rosy color. The run in knocked me unconscious, so did the lack of air. The last thing I heard was the trampling of feet belonging to Adonis.

≛≛≛≛≛≛≛≛≛

**********

"The next part…  was obviously quite foggy. It felt like another narrator had taken control of my story. Another onlooker aside from my own mind… ." Starlet pauses amid his tale, eyes seeming to go glassy and distant. 

"That's ok, Starlet, do you have anything else you know of after that?" Sundrip asks, gently placing a hand on his shoulder. Starlet takes a quick breath, seeming to snap out of it, though seeming startled a moment from the contact. 

"Yeah- yeah, I do." He replies, softly. 

"Tell us, tell us! You've got us on the edge of our seats!" The twins pipe in, a chorus of excitement and anticipation. Dustwalk sighs slightly at the two of them. "You don't have to tell if you don't want to." She tells him, voice faint like dust carried on the wind. "No, no, I will, happily." Starlet answers, glancing at Sundrip and placing his hand on hers with a confused look in his eyes. Sundrip somewhat retreats at the curious and puzzled look on his face. She pulls her hand away with pink on her cheeks and simply stands next to him. Starlet blinks a few times then drops his hand that was now alone on his shoulder back to its place. 

≛≛≛≛≛≛≛≛≛≛≛

The next thing I remembered after that was my worried parents, talking amongst themselves, with nervous chatter. It had been about a day since I'd blacked out. I was sitting outside- sort of, it was a glass chamber type with a controlled climate. So the person sitting there could breathe freely and watch the landscape. That was how I'd seen the young Kreotian girl. From out there, I heard a hushed chatter between my parents. I'm sure they thought I couldn't hear. I could make out bits and pieces and remained quiet, seeming like I couldn't hear. I took silent steps for a closer listen. 

"Are you sure he'll be able to safely live on Earth?" 

"There's…  something different about him."

"There always has been."

"But it seems to have advanced now-"

Everything grew more hushed a moment. 

I didn't dare venture closer, I could still make out a few things. 

"- Isn't completely human-"

"-Would've died-"

Then they fell silent. I darted soundlessly back to my seat, hugging my arms around my ribs to make it seem I'd been too distracted by my aches and pains to dare sneak a listen. 

Shortly after, My parents called me in. "Starlet, sweetie, we need to talk about something…" My mother began, as my father waited beside her. I slowly tilted my head, then stood from my chair. I knew my body was supposed to be aching from everything… but it felt irrelevant. Something to be ignored. "Yes.? I'm coming…" I called back, making my voice seem weak and soft. 

So I followed my parents inside, though making it seem I was still reeling from the pain of my strange encounter. I sat down  now on a chair inside, looking up at them. Their faces were shadowed by worry. "We need to pack, we're set to return to Earth promptly.  " My mother first explained. "Why… ?" I asked, tilting my little head. My father answered this time. "They need help, all hands on deck, scientists." he explained. I slowly nodded. "But isn't Earth a wasteland-?" I inquired. My mother answered. "Maybe on the surface. But these days people linger within the Underground." My mother motioned. "The Underground?" I asked, curious. "You'll find out more about it when you see it for yourself." she explained. I didn't like being unable to get answers, but I knew I'd settle for now. I nodded again. 

Then, my mother continued on. "Do you think you can do it? We'll see how long we can postpone the voyage-" My mother tried. I sort of stopped her.

"I can make it. When are we leaving?" I asked softly. 

"Tomorrow, Kreotian time." My father replied. I nodded. "Okay. I'll go to my room now." I said simply, slowly standing. My parents painstakingly watched. 

"If you need help- let us know-" My mother called. 

I gave a nod. "I will." I responded. 

My parents seemed to be waiting for something more. A hug, maybe. But I just stared at them for a second. My mother knelt down and touched my shoulder for a moment. She was worried about my injuries, the possibly broken ribs. But that had gone away, all of it had. I played along. My mother kissed my forehead and my father gave a slight smile. Then, I walked to my room. 

Kreotian days are significantly longer in comparison to the 24 hour Earth days. They measure 64 hours by humanity's recordings. 32 hours of daylight, 32 hours of nighttime. So, the human refugees have a bit of trouble weighing out a sleep schedule. But manage. We often had to sleep some in the Kreotian days, and some in the Kreotian nights. We were to leave the next morning. It was a Kreotian evening so I had  those 32 hours of Kreotian darkness to pack, as well as some of the morning. Less though, given I'd have to sleep and eat a little at some point. 

So, I began packing. I had been formulating a plan on how I was going to organize my things as I went to my room. First, I pulled my hunter's mask from where I'd hidden it (I'm not going to say where, that kills the point). I knew how I was going to, well, smuggle it to Earth. I had never been to Earth, nor did I know what to expect. All I knew was that I intended to bring it with me. I silently snuck into my parents' room and borrowed their sewing kit. Brought it to my room and started to work on something. 

I got my assigned trunk, felt around the fabric at the bottom of it. Yes, this would work. There was space between the actual bottom of the trunk and the fabric. I took out the scissors that were too big really for my little hands. So, I solved the problem and put on a layer of gloves. We had plenty, space was cold to us and we needed some to protect us from the toxic air of Merokreotis. Using those, now my fingers and hands fit better in their spots within the scissors. I cut a slit in the bottom of it, retrieved the hunter's mask and slipped it in the slit. Then I just sewed it back up and started packing my clothes to cover it. I had a few cartridges for my things. Given the odds pointed to the fact we were clearly not going to return to Merokreotis. I took the sewing kit back to my parents' exactly as I found it, then hurried back to packing. 

So, I proceeded to stock each of my cartridges with my belongings, staying to my organizational plan. Eventually, my parents popped into my room to call me out to eat. It would be one of my last two meals before I was to refrain from eating for several hours to make take off significantly easier. With a stomach still full on take off, one would almost undoubtedly throw up. The trip to Earth was about an Earthen year, like I said earlier, and that was through a series of warps. So, yeah, pretty far away. 

I was both excited and nervous for the trip. How bad could it be-? I thought. I'd made it before…"  Then again… I hadn't fully been - well, aware the whole time. It couldn't be too bad, could it? 

❖❖❖❖❖❖

Eventually the time came when we were to depart from Merokreotis. I couldn't imagine there were any sights on earth as beautiful as Merokreotis. Especially given Earth was supposed to be utterly destroyed. I had all my things in order, was really hungry, but dealt with it. The year trip would give us enough time to condition for entry to Earth. It was going to be busy and jarring but it was necessary. We were to take one or two stops along the trip at outposts to restock, refuel and stuff like that. Nearly 365 days, only two major stops.

The ship was colossal really. Had to be, given the parameters of the trip. I could geek out all day over it- in fact I could probably go on about it for longer- but, I'll keep it simple. 

The ship runs both on fuel and is light powered. Versatile. We had a mini garden-like thing, perfect for my father to practice on his botany. As well as provide a bit of food to eat. We recycle nearly everything as well, for the best productivity. 

I stole one last glance at Merokreotis as we left. With all its crystalline glory, smiling brightly to send us on our way. Then….we started off to meet a grieving Earth, weakly clinging to the memories of her lost children. 

✶✶✶✶✶✶✶

"I arrived here five years before Dustwalk had, nine years ago. " Starlet added at the very end. 

There was a moment of silence as Starlet concluded his tale. Honestly, some were just caught off guard by his comment about the Earth. However, Stryker and Ryker quickly spoke up. 

"Oh! Oh! Could you tell us about the space trip next?!" Stryker starts.

"Yeah! What was it like on the spaceship?! What were the outposts like?! See any aliens?!!"  Ryker pipes in. 

"Tell us more!" Stryker keeps on. 

A pale greenish color seeps into Starlet's cheeks. 

"Well um- maybe some other time, I've already told a lot-" Starlet replies, sort of embarrassed by the twins nagging him on. 

Dustwalk softly tugs the twins back from their growing advance to Starlet. 

Both of them complain. 

"Awwwww!!! Fine!" They surrender. 

Dustwalk glances back, hearing something. 

"Oh- I guess we need to head back now, I can hear the twin's parents calling…" Dustwalk says softly. 

"Oohhhh fine!" The twins complain. 

"Bye, guys." Dustwalk adds, waving a goodbye. 

"See you guys later," Starlet replies, returning the wave. 

"Yes, it was nice talking to you," Sundrip gives a bright smile and waves too. 

The twins grumble their goodbyes and leave with Dustwalk. 

Starlet glances at Sundrip, who blushed softly noticing they were alone. 

"Hey, how about we go find our parents around here too. Mine are probably looking for me." He suggests. 

"Yeah- probably, let's go-" Sundrip replies. 

Thus the five of them departed their meeting spot, going their own ways. 

Part two of my first Imprinted Earth writing! Science fiction and fantasy are probably my favorite genres to write. I have been creating tales of fantasy ever since I was way younger, and I have a plethora of fantasy stories. Then I got into science fiction, years ago, I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I do now. But here I am!