The quest | Teen Ink

The quest

Once upon a time, in a land far far far  away, there lived a valiant knight named Sir Percival. He was known throughout the kingdom for his bravery and his pretty good hair, his unwavering loyalty to the king, and his wonderful skill with a sword. Sir Percival had been on many quests throughout his life, but he knew that this next one would be his greatest challenge yet. 

One day, the king summoned Sir Percival to his throne room. "I have a quest for you, Sir Knight" said the king. "A dragon has been destroying the neighboring villages, burning crops, and killing livestock. The people are living in fear, and we cannot allow this to continue. I need you to slay the dragon and restore peace to the land." 

Sir Percival bowed before the king and accepted the quest. He gathered his armor and his sword, and his goofy horse, and set off on his long, long, journey. 

The knight rode through a forest, across many rivers, and over 2  mountains until he finally arrived at the village near to where the dragon had been sighted. The villagers welcomed him with open arms and told him what they had seen. 

"The dragon is gigantic, Sir Percival," said the village elder. "It has scales as hard as diamonds, and its really hot  breath can melt anything it touches. No one has been able to defeat it." 

But Sir Percival was determined. He knew that he had been chosen for this quest for a reason, and he was determined to succeed. 

The knight rode out of the village and into the hills where the dragon had last been seen. As he rode, he saw the wreck that the dragon had caused. Entire fields were burnt to a crisp, and the smoke from the dragon's breath was hard to see through. 

Sir Percival eventually reached a clearing where he saw the dragon perched on a rocky outcrop, its wings folded against its sides. The dragon was indeed enormous, with scales as big as shields and eyes that glowed like embers. 

The knight dismounted from his horse and drew his sword. "Dragon," he shouted, "I have come to defeat you and restore peace to the land. Surrender now, and I promise to spare your life." 

The dragon laughed, a deep rumbling sound that echoed through the hills. "You think you can defeat me, little knight?" it said. "I have been alive for centuries, and I have seen armies come and go. You are nothing to me." 

But Sir Percival was not afraid. He raised his sword and charged at the dragon, dodging its fiery breath and striking at its scales. The dragon roared in anger and lashed out with its claws, but Sir Percival was quick and nimble, avoiding the blows and striking back with his sword. 

The battle raged on for hours, with the dragon and the knight trading blows and insults. Sir Percival's armor was dented and his sword was chipped, but he refused to give up. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the knight struck a fatal blow to the dragon's heart. 

The dragon let out a final roar and fell to the ground, its massive body shaking the earth. Sir Percival approached the dragon and removed its head, proof of his victory. 

The villagers cheered when they saw Sir Percival return with the dragon's head. The king himself came to congratulate the knight and reward him for his bravery. 

"Sir Percival," said the king, "you have done a great,wonderful service to the kingdom. You have saved countless lives and restored peace to the land. You are a true hero." 

Sir Percival bowed before the king, humbled by his praise. "Your majesty," he said, "it was my honor to serve you and the people. I am merely doing my duty to this wonderful town”.