Upiato | Teen Ink

Upiato

August 18, 2023
By RichardQ_1204 BRONZE, 深圳, Other
RichardQ_1204 BRONZE, 深圳, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In the heart of an idyllic world, the city of Upiato stood as a testament to human ingenuity and ambition. Its towers reached toward the heavens, their glass facades catching the rays of a perpetually arched rainbow that graced the sky. Streets lined with chocolate trees cast a sweet aroma that permeated the air, inviting passersby to pluck the cocoa delights as they strolled. Upiato was a haven of abundance, where the toil of everyday life had been supplanted by the tireless efforts of robots, and the clutches of class divisions loosened as currency faded into memory.

In this utopian society, social media served as both a means of communication and currency. Attractive photos of delectable feasts and breathtaking vistas were exchanged, the digital representations of desires traded like commodities in a marketplace of dreams. People reveled in their newfound freedom, spending their days crafting alluring images and savoring the fruits of their peers' creativity. The city's landscape was painted with the colors of harmony, and parents sent their children to Upiato with the hope of nurturing a generation steeped in peace and equality.

In the initial weeks, the children reveled in their surroundings, their days filled with exploratory journeys to capture the hidden beauty within the city's corners. They convened meetings to discuss ways to enhance the gastronomic delights or to better frame the kaleidoscope of hues in their photos. Laughter echoed through the streets as friendships bloomed under the enchanting hues of the rainbow.

Yet, as time marched forward, subtle changes began to infiltrate the innocence of Upiato. The children, now budding adolescents, realized the disparity in their individual skills. The once-unified goals fragmented as private recipes emerged, available only to those who could afford the steep price in photographs. The warm camaraderie of collaboration gave way to the cold calculations of competition.

Days turned into nights as some children buried themselves in their kitchens, devising secret concoctions that held the promise of unparalleled flavors. They toiled, both for the joy of creation and the allure of the photos they could amass. Meanwhile, others devoted their energies to refining their photographic techniques, capturing the city's beauty to trade for these coveted recipes.

In their pursuit of culinary and photographic excellence, the original purpose of Upiato began to fade into oblivion. What was once a bastion of peace and equality became a theater of ambition and consumerism. People forgot the lessons that had brought them to this paradise; their dreams were overshadowed by the clamor for recognition and privilege.

As the years passed, the children-turned-adults found themselves trapped in a cycle of exploitation, their lives consumed by an insatiable quest for more. The colorful city that once symbolized unity and shared prosperity had become a stage for empty accolades and relentless pursuits. The rainbow, once a beacon of hope, now felt like a taunting reminder of the innocence lost.

In this somber metamorphosis, the city of Upiato bore witness to the fragility of utopian ideals and the inexorable pull of human nature. The once-shining vision had faded into a hazy mirage.


The author's comments:

This article is a satire about human nature.