Hospital Purge | Teen Ink

Hospital Purge

By carla_diaz1221 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
carla_diaz1221 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas

In the year 2041, engineers have developed technological innovations such as drone systems and all enabled robots with artificial intelligence exceeding the average human mind, these robots are highly overpowered in the military aspects, they are indestructible with their highly infused protection coating. Technological advancements control society, heightened dehumanization and re-established the social hierarchy. People began to crawl into the pit of addiction that is technology, and in turn, began to lose their rationality, because of this, they began to gain animosity

Most of the populations rally together to commit a mass murder against government officials and those who oppose their views that the world should be self-governed. The advancements of technology in forms of being able to track people down, the nefarious people in charge of these murders, the district eighty-eight, split up to kill those in areas in which peaceful populations reside within. The purges range from every corner of the world, around half of the population is a part of the district eighty-eight. 

On a stormy night, with the moon being more visible than ever,  thunder was striking, it’s wrath resembling that of an angry god bestowing upon the world, the terrorizing sounds infusing rumbling cracking noises set to overpower any other sound dared to go against it, drowned with earth shattering screaming within the walls of a hospital floor, the morgue, set on the floor below the first, it is dimly lit with lime green walls, some of the old wallpaper peeling off along the seams and the corners of every wall, the lights infusing on and off, one of the panels is almost close to falling off, making the floor dark and dreadful, especially in the night. 

It’s a mostly bright lighted hospital, except for this one area, the place these raw throated screams are coming from, Nurse Steve, who happens to be in the vicinity of the staircase to the morgue, starts running down the stairs, making way for one of the two rooms, his steps are light as he uses his toes to softly walk forward, making his shoes be as silent as he can make them, just then, when he gets a view he sees Darrell, an old patient in his seventies with alzheimers, several feet away from a dead person who’s lying peacefully on the embalming table, its’ organs on display like an exhibition, it was on the midst of its’ organs getting removed for examination, tissue samples are almost ready to be taken from each organ for examination under a microscope and may also be sent for chemical analysis or microbiological culture.

Darrell, who must have been in the midst of a chimera  must have been digging into his opened chest, looking for his heart that has already been in the lab, blood is apparent on Darrells’ hands. 

“WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY” Darrell chanted, his vision becoming red, his bloody hands making their way to his hair, beginning to attempt to rip it out due to his desperation and helplessness. 

Steve approaches cautiously, he studies Darrell's expression and uses his soft tone of voice “Darrell, let’s go back to your room and get you cleaned up, then you can sleep in your warmly washed bed comfortably after your bath. Does that sound good?” Steve asks with a slight smile in order to make Darrell feel safe with him.

“No...I want to sa-” he begins to drift off, softly mumbling, he clears his throat and repeats himself amongst remembering what was happening, he continues, “I have to save him”

He reaches for Darells’ hand and covers his hand with his own, just as he’s about to remind him about the fact that his son died of cancer  thirty-seven years ago, he remembers himself, that everytime Darrell is told of this yet again, he begins kicking and screaming in denial, hence Steve’s hesitation.

Steve injects Darrell with a low dose of methohexital shot to knock him out quickly.

Darrell’s eyes roll and close after their third blinking, he is about to fall over, whenever Steve, on instinct, grabs ahold of him before he falls.

Suddenly there was a loud sound, not that of the lightning, something louder, sharper, it sounded like a shotgun followed by an eerie whirring noise, all of the sudden, he opened the door to find that a deadly bomb took out one fourth of the hospital. The bomb expanded wide and was meant for the building beside them, however, everyone was hysterical, he saw the blood splattered around, indicating the death of sixty-two people, the remains of the people everywhere, some of the walls were gone as well. There were three bizarre children calmed down by watching TV, they clung onto it and shrieked at the doctors in anger when they tried saving them. He looked for his phone, he was always on it, he believed district eighty-eight was right for eliminating the government, they also had advanced technology that could hopefully one day cure cancer.

They heard people come in from the front, guns were firing.

They headed for the elevator instead, as soon as the doors closed, the elevator shut down, it stopped working.

The old man began crying “My son, don’t be scared, there has been cures for your illness, you’ll make it out” he told a young boy, who he believed was his son.

Another bomb went off

Suddenly it all went black.

There was no noise, nothing but silence.

It was 9 pages originally :)