A Mermaid Story with no real name | Teen Ink

A Mermaid Story with no real name

By Lauren Wright BRONZE, Wildwood, Missouri
Lauren Wright BRONZE, Wildwood, Missouri

Chapter 1
Kidnapped

In my world, the sea, things are almost always peaceful. We live so far down that humans rarely make it down here on their dives, but not so far that the light doesn’t touch us. Our city never is at war, my family is strong. I never thought anything would go wrong.
I had met this wonderful guy, who plans to go steady with me, or so I’ve heard from his friends. His name is Marcus. He is so sweet and I feel like I can trust him with my innermost feelings. Of course, I haven’t told him that because all men are afraid of feelings. It is in their blood.
My family is just as wonderful. My parents, Ron and Meni, are fairly wealthy. They are very involved in their work, but that is okay with me. I understand that they need to work to support us, I just never see them.
My twin brother Nick is cool, I guess. He is such a show-off around my friends. When he is not being a jerk, he is real protective of me and Sam.
Sam is my sister. She is my best friend, I can tell her everything. She knows everything about my life, from my thoughts about Marcus to my dreams. She believes that dreams can predict the future.
I don’t believe her though; I mean I had this dream recently that was so bizarre. The light was so bright, and the water was so clear, it’s like it wasn’t there. I was surrounded by four unfamiliar men. They were all staring at me like I was some sort of prize. Well, one of them seemed to have a different kind of prize in mind when he looked at me. Kind of like love, but I can’t be sure. I have never seen anyone look at another like that.
I wish that I could know why he was looking at me like that. Maybe, someday, Marcus will look at me like that. Maybe he will on our date tonight. I actually think I hear him now.
“Hey beautiful.”
I felt my heart pick up pace when he spoke. I look into his green eyes and I get this feeling that I can’t describe. I wonder if he gets the same feeling when he looks at me.

Marcus’ hair is the most brilliant green. His scales shimmer in the dim light. He looks so strong, he has amazing muscles. I just know that with his strength, he will protect me from any harm. There isn’t a reason not to feel safe in Marcus’ presence.

“Are you ready?”

“Of course. Where are we going?”

“I’m going to take you to the Hot Spring. The have amazing seaweed. You are going to love it.”

“I can’t wait.”

My mind began to wander as we swam to the Hot Spring for our date. I wanted to reminisce the moment that we met.

I was swimming around, trying to remember the directions to the market. I had just about turned around to leave when he stopped me with a hand on the shoulder.

“Are you lost?”

“Um, well, yes. I was looking for the current that takes me to the market.”

“Oh, this way.”

He points in the direction, and that is when I first notice his muscles. I thought to myself, if his arm is that amazing, just imagine how the rest of him looks.

Instead of imagining though, I looked. When we made eye contact, I just had this amazing feeling. I know that there was immediate chemistry.

For just a moment, I forgot how to do anything, including breathe. The only thing that mattered to me was him.

“I’m Marcus.”

Marcus, what a nice name, I thought. Why is he looking at me like that? Oh, my name. What is my name?
Think, come on, think.

“My name is Jenn.”

“Ah, of course, a name that beautiful could only belong to you.”

I could feel the heat in my face.

“Thanks.”

“Jenn? We are there.”

I snapped out of my reverie.

“I’m sorry. I was just thinking about how we met.”

“One of my favorite days.”

I couldn’t help but blush.

Then we swam to a table. He said the food would come without us even having to order. That is so cool. I guess they only do this at really fancy places.

All of a sudden the waters were quiet. Not the kind of quiet that you want when you have a headache, the kind of quiet that is just plain eerie. As I looked around, I realized that I was alone. All of the fish swam into the plants or coral.

I had never experienced this, but some of the elders had. I knew what was coming. I had to swim away. That is, if it wasn’t already too late.
The boat was right above me, blocking what little sun light comes down here. They splashed, one by one, as they entered the water, my home. I had never felt scared like this. Any other time I felt fear didn’t count. It could never compare to the terror I was experiencing at that moment.

I didn’t know what they were here for, but whatever it was would be forgotten when they laid eyes on me.

There were four of them. As far as I could tell, they were all men. One was bigger, full grown I suspected. The others were thinner and younger in appearance. One of them couldn’t have been older than my fifteen.

They were drawing closer to me. I looked for any last hope for escape. There was none, for they had seen me. I knew they had spotted me the way they accelerated in my direction. You could tell they were excited. Apparently, they felt I was a myth to them as they seemed to feel to me.

I finally remembered how to make myself swim away, but I was surrounded. There was no way out. I spun around looking at all of their frightening, mask covered faces. I spun until I blacked out, something grasping me tightly.

I am writing a story i have submitted chapter one to see if people like it. I plan to post each chapter as I finish it and come up with a real name.