The Wish - Setpiece | Teen Ink

The Wish - Setpiece

November 2, 2023
By Moondark981 BRONZE, Cupertino, Maine
Moondark981 BRONZE, Cupertino, Maine
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Once in every century, the universe grants a single heartfelt wish.

For this set piece I used the quick write of 10/27  and used the Kurt Vonnegut style of writing similarly like the short story “Harrison Bergeron” commonly using the word like you, and basically making a 3rd person point of view to the reader. 

As you lay there on your deathbed in the hospital at 11:59 pm, your nurse sings you a happy birthday and brings a muffin with a candle near your face. Struggling, you close your eyes, blow out your candle.

You lay exhausted in your bed, eyes closed, there is nothing you can see. Then from a shimmer things start to get brighter and right then you feel a sudden bolt of energy and you open your eyes winking with surprise and bewilderment. As you open your eyes, you find yourself in a mysterious, otherworldly place. The hospital room has disappeared, replaced by a vast, shimmering expanse. A bright floating ball of light shines before you, telepathically saying that your wish has been granted. It explains that you have been granted a special opportunity to make a heartfelt wish. However, they remind you to choose carefully, as your wish will shape your future. You acknowledge the saying and make your wish. 

You wake up in a wheelchair and hear people talking, your nurse pushing your wheelchair and out the door you see a bright sunny day and think about your awaiting your next journey.