Monster in Woods | Teen Ink

Monster in Woods

December 18, 2023
By Anonymous

I was walking down the hallway at school when my best friend Grant ran up and asked, “ Do you still want to go look for antlers after school today.”

I replied, “That's fine, I just have to go home and do a couple things first.”

“Hurry up because I have homework later tonight that I need to get done,” explained Grant, ”Also can you take me home from school again today.”

I told Grant, “Yes and I won't be long, I only have to let out my dogs”.

I went on with the rest of my school day zoning out and struggling to stay focused as usual. When I was in my final class of the day which was art. I took a nice nap until the teacher found me in the back corner of class as I was absolutely passed out asleep. He startled me when I woke up to him shaking my arm. 

“Matthew, you need to stop falling asleep in my class. I know you don't like to participate but you still have to” said the art teacher. 

“I know, I'm sorry for falling asleep, it won't happen again.” I replied 

“That's what you said the last multiple times that this happened.” Said the art teacher “you're going to have to stay later to serve detention since this has happened multiple times now.”


After staying at school for an extra hour I was finally able to leave and go home. I rushed out of the classroom and hurried up to the parking lot where my truck was parked. I jumped in, grabbed the keys and took off. As I sped out of the parking lot I checked my phone to see multiple texts asking where I was and why I was running late. I called Grant and explained what happened and that I was running late. When I got home I quickly ran inside to let my dogs out and grab my boots. I rushed from my house to Grant's house and picked him up. When he got in the truck he said “Where have you been i've been bored waiting for you,” 

“I was at school they made me stay after because i fell asleep in class.” is what i told grant

“That's stupid its just art class.” Replied grant.

When we got to grants property we were walking across the field to go back in the woods when we heard a loud crash back in the woods. We both looked at each other wondering what the heck that it was that could cause that sound. We walked into the woods to investigate and didn't see anything for a while. When we got about 100 feet back into the woods we saw a giant tree knocked over with a path leading away from it of everything pushed to the side so something big and wide could pass through.

We both looked at each other in fear. Grant asked “What the heck could cause this.”

I looked at him and said “I don't know and don't want to find out what could cause that.”

  We both turned around to leave and started to walk. We both didn't say a word because we just wanted to go home for the night. We heard a bang and started running back to my truck. We were about fifty feet from being able to get into my truck when we heard another tree fall down and when we turned around to look there was a giant standing there watching us run to the truck and speed off.