Brain Rot | Teen Ink

Brain Rot

By OttersBox BRONZE, Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
OttersBox BRONZE, Lake Saint Louis, Missouri

In a distant future long after society as was known collapsed. Cryogenically frozen nervous systems are being used to help uncover past knowledge that has been lost due to genetic and structural changes in the common brain. While most samples are reserved for the elites of society there are some black market labs producing the future minds of the past.

30 years before

Thick sterile glass distorts all vision. Green and lilac lights flicker in the mist. Suddenly everything stops and the dense glass clears to reveal a single glass bassinet. Large thick wires escaped from every direction. 

CURRENT DAY 

Deep ambient light floods the room. Darkness hides in the hollows of his face and the far corners of the cube surrounding him. The deep sharp clacks of his keys wishered through the surrounding halls day and night. The blueprints seem to be burned into his dilated eyes and they flick around examining every last detail. Schematics are scrawled all over the desk surrounding him as the hum of his assistant creates a gentle grounding white noise. 

The constant tapping of his pencil and stirring in his seat creates a sense of stress and importance anytime someone is to disturb his sanctuary of science. Maeve is almost immune to these feelings though. As she enters the room her brain scrambles to absorb as much information as she can before. CLICK. A warm light now replaces the deep blues that once filled the room. Finn quickly spins around grabbing whatever he can to cover all of the drawings on his surroundings.

“Sir your sister is here” his assistant proclaims, albeit delayed. 

“Thank you for the introduction, Six.” Maeve sarcastically responds. “So Finn I was about to head out to town and wanted to see if you were busy?”

Following a deep exhale “Evie you know I’m always busy. Anyway you're not supposed to come in here and you know it!”

Maeve turns around sharply, relaxing her shoulders in defeat. “I know I just thought you might want to see the actual sun at some point in the next month.”

This is just the beginning of the story but there is much more to come in the adventures of Meave and Finn.