Project Rehabilitation | Teen Ink

Project Rehabilitation

December 18, 2023
By chowa567 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
chowa567 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It is the year 2100, on mars. People only started moving from Earth 10-20 years ago. My parents and my grandparents were some of the first people brought to Mars. My grandparents had lived through all the tragedies on Earth, the period they call the apocalypse. Earth went down hill. As time went on people became more and more unstable. With each year passing the government began to lose more and more control. People began to overthrow the government throughout the country. Creating their own governed societies. People began to riot without government interference. It became a war zone in/or around most major cities. It was impossible to live safely. 

They had been investigating many of the other planets in the solar system to see where would be the best place to inhabit. Each plant had something on it that made it not fully safe for people to live on. Mars was the only one with the most fit conditions. The only thing about mars that was seen as a treat was not knowing much about the planet. We had only had a few journeys there confirming that we would be able to inhabit mars. The planet as we knew it was nothing but what we could see on the surface. Just like Earth it is expected to be more dangerous under the crust. The only plan was to move away the people who still wanted government control and who could pay for the travel fees. It was supposed to be a home away from home while Earth was cleaned up for rehabilitation. No one ever thought that this would become a new home. No one realized how bad the Earth had really gotten. Most of the people who had come to mars had lived on earth before. Not me, I was a part of a group they called the intergalactics. We were the first group of kids born on Mars. Hearing only stories about how home used to be and everything that happened to move us here. So just like I’m telling you, everything I knew was told through memories. The first group of kids born either on the way to mars and on mars have been naturally gifted. That's the only way to describe their talents and make it seem reasonable. When people were moving to Mars they had many questions and worries. One of these worries being whether or not we would be the only civilization on the planet. Would there be aliens or some other kind of creature? No one knew the answer, but we were all told it was safe and uninhabited. There has been no known reason for these powers. When people were first landing they had miners come to the plant first. They began setting up camps and mining into the planet. I thought at first it was scientists trying to understand the planet. But I saw most of them gathering gems and crystals and carrying them back onto our ships. Most people believe these gems and crystals are what gave the kids their powers. People have been trying to emulate these effects the whole time they have been here, there has been no success. Why do the kids get powers but no one else can?


The author's comments:

I am a student attending Holt High School.