Instinct (Flash Fiction) | Teen Ink

Instinct (Flash Fiction)

December 20, 2023
By PiplupTheGreat07 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
PiplupTheGreat07 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Felicity was born to be a monster hunter. Her father had been a hunter, her father's father had been a hunter, and now she was as well. Well, her and her older brother, Aster. She and Aster had been training to be a hunter since they could hold a weapon, and it showed once they entered the actual hunter’s guild. There were struggles at first, but before long they were already respected assets to the guild. 

One day after a successful hunt, the two were ordered to appear before the guild master. They and hundreds of hunters and researchers would be sent across the desert to uncharted territory in order to learn more about the flora and fauna there. So they did what any good hunter would do. They boarded the sand glider with excitement in their eyes and polished gear, ready to set off for new lands. This is where the story begins…

Thwip! Felicity let an arrow fly loose before diving away into the sand, barely dodging the monster’s fiery maw as it recklessly charged in her direction. The arrow sank into the right side of the monster’s head, redirecting it and forcing it to collide with a towering spire of rock. Felicity notched another arrow as the monster roared and reeled from the pain. The scaled creature whipped around in a frenzy, its eyes wild and overflowing with rage, but Aster was ready for it. He swung his heavy iron hammer with all of his strength. It slammed into the monster’s head with a sickening crack. A fractured skull. It was over, the monster was dead.


The author's comments:

I had only 50 minutes to complete this short story in class. I was stressing out, man.