the Christmas monster | Teen Ink

the Christmas monster

A loud thud startled me from a deep sleep, and I checked the clock. It was 1 AM. “Huh, that's weird”. Probably nothing, I thought as I tried to go back to sleep. All of a sudden, four more quick thumps hit the roof. CLICK CLACK, CLICK CLACK! It sounded as if an animal was on the roof. I crept into my sister's room to wake her because I didn't want to investigate alone. 

“Elena,” I said. “ELENA!” she woke up with a grown, “why are you waking me up so early? It's not even light out,” she said. 

“I heard something on the roof come on,” I whispered. 

As we tip-toed to the stairs, we heard more sounds, but they were coming from the chimney. When we reached the bottom of the stairs, we could barely make out a raspy voice humming. It was not what we were looking for when we turned the corner. There was this giant monster thing with a Christmas hat on. It looked moist with dark red skin. Its body was shaped like a box, and its back legs were short, but its arms were long and skinny with long claws. As we turned around to go back upstairs, the floorboards creaked, and we jumped behind the couch. I could see it in the reflection of a window. It crawled closer and moved the sofa out of the way. With our backs now up against the wall, it bent to our level and sniffed both of us. “Goooood,” it said in its low, raspy growl. With saliva dripping everywhere, it puked up what seemed to be a Christmas present onto our laps. After that, it turned around and went back up the chimney. I wondered what would have happened if we were bad that year.