The Phantom Physician | Teen Ink

The Phantom Physician

May 6, 2024
By Anonymous

Inside the ancient castle, Dr. Alexander was conducting his usual experiments in the dimly lit laboratory. Suddenly, a mysterious mist descended upon him, causing him to vanish from sight.  “Whoa, what just happened?” Dr. Alexander exclaimed, his voice echoing in the empty room. 
“Where did you go, doctor?” a puzzled servant called out, searching the laboratory frantically. 
“I'm right here, but you can't see me!” Dr. Alexander replied, his voice tinged with disbelief. 
 
As the news of the invisible doctor spread through the castle, rumors and speculation ran wild among the inhabitants. 
 
“Have you heard about the invisible doctor roaming the halls?” whispered one housekeeper to another, eyes wide with wonder. 
“I thought I saw a shadow move in the corridor last night. Do you think its him?” a guard questioned, his hand nervously gripping his sword. 
 
Meanwhile, Dr. Alexander, invisible yet ever so present, used newfound conditions to uncover secrets and observe the castle's daily life from a unique perspective. 
 
“I never knew the cook sang while preparing meals,” Dr. Alexander mused, listening intently to the melodious hum coming from the kitchen. 
“I see the princess sneaking out at night to stargaze. How intriguing,” he noted, watching her from the shadows with a newfound sense of admiration. 
Despite his invisible state, Dr. Alexander felt a sense of liberation, free to move about unnoticed and explore the castle,” he reflected, his words barely audible to the ears of those around him. 
 
As the days turned into weeks, Dr. Alexander’s invisible presence became both a mystery and a blessing to the castle's inhabitants. 
 
“Could the invisible doctor be a spirit watching over us?” speculated a curious chambermaid, her eyes scanning the room for any signs of the unseen visitor. 
“I heard he saved the royal family from danger,” a guard whispered to his comrade, awe evident in his hushed tine. 
 
After tireless research and experimentation, Dr. Alexander discovered the key to reversing his invisible spell. 
 
“I think I've found a way to become visible again,” he announced to the empty laboratory, a mix of excitment and apprehension in his voice. 
 
With a final incantation and a puff of mystical smoke, Dr. Alexander reappeared before the astonished eyes of all. 
 
As Dr. Alexander materialized in the laboratory, the once invisible doctor was met with a mix of relief and curiosity from the castle's residents. 
 
“He’s back!” exclaimed the servant who had been searching for him, a wide grin spreading across his face. 
“Welcome back, doctor! We were starting to wonder if you had become a ghost,” joked the cook, relieved to see Dr. Alexander once more. 
 
With his invisibility lifted, Dr. Alexander shared his incredible journey of observing life in the castle unseen and the newfound perspectives he had gained. 
 
“I learned so much about our home while I was invisible. It was truly an eye-opening experience,” Dr. Alexander recounted to a captivated audience gathered in the laboratory. 
 
The castle buzzed with tales of the invisible doctor's adventures, with some even suggesting that his brief disappearance had brought good fortune to the kingdom. 
 
“Ever since the invisible doctor returned; the crops have been flourishing. He brought us luck,” speculated a villager nodding in agreement with the others. 
 


The author's comments:

It is a science fiction piece.