the Merciless One | Teen Ink

the Merciless One

July 3, 2024
By fincantsee BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, Utah
fincantsee BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

He was tall and imposing, all sharp edges and tight turns. glowering down at the city below, he relished in the screams that drifted from the burning streets. 

I did this, he thought. I caused this pain. and he smiled, a pointed thing, sharp enough to puncture any sense of safety that was left in the world. 

It was dark all the time now. even the sun had fled before him, his wretched gaze. 

God has forsaken this land. Those were the words on everyone's lips. The angels took flight long ago. 

He commanded respect with each step, though whether it was from fear or genuine respect, he didn't care, as long as people deferred. He called them minions, former kings and rulers of nations long dissolved. they did his bidding, scurrying like rats beneath his pointed shoes. 

a long black cape flowed behind him with each step down the corridor lined with diamonds. people lined the walls, each on their knees in genuflection, each whimpering with unshed tears, hoping that their cruel and merciless ruler would spare them for another day. 

One man is not so lucky. The footsteps halt in front of his head, and he lifts it to see the Merciless One pointing at him. 

please! he begs. please! I have a family!

Do you now? the Merciless One says with a hint of amusement in his voice. everyone says that. and yet, someone must die. 

and the last thing the man sees is a flash of light reflecting off that pointed grin. 


The author's comments:

my close friend from young author's academy at byu asked me to write a short piece about a villain. this is what came about.