Sypher | Teen Ink

Sypher

February 7, 2010
By JakobWolf GOLD, Solsberry, Indiana
JakobWolf GOLD, Solsberry, Indiana
10 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
There's more than meets the eye


Hello…
This is a letter I’m writing to everyone on earth about my story.
Oh sorry, how rude of me. My name is Sypher and it’s a pleasure to meet you.
I died when I was fifteen in a fatal car accident with a few of my friends…not all of them made it to Heaven. I was the only one that did.
I wasn’t a believer at the time…but right before we hit the rock wall I prayed and gave my soul to God. Did I really believe it was going to work? No, but it was the only chance I had so I took it… and it worked, sort of.
Well you see, like I said before, I really didn’t believe in God when I said I believed in him. So I actually went to Hell for awhile. Trust me! You really do need to believe in Him because Hell…isn’t fun like some say it is.
Anyway, so eventually I was pulled out of there and brought here in Heaven. But I wasn’t beautiful like the rest of the angels. After my eyes had adjusted to the brightness, I looked down upon myself and saw that I was covered in black ash and had many cuts and scratches on me; even still had on my earth clothes.
I also looked behind me and saw that my wings weren’t white…they were pitch black and I had claws on my hands like an animal does.
The other angels soon came to see me for they had never heard of someone being pulled out of Hell and brought to Heaven. When they saw me, they weren’t very happy with it.
They were disgusted with my appearance.
“Why would God bring someone out of Hell that deserves to be there?” one of them said. “He is definitely not worthy to be here,” another one said.
It hurt me greatly to know that some didn’t think that I belonged here and I know I really didn’t; but surely someone would forget about my past and get to know me right?
After several hours of cleaning myself up, I was told that God wanted to see me. I was terrified. Was he going to send me back? Why else would he ask for me?
I walked the golden streets and found my way to the place where he sat and bowed before him.
He told me that the reason why He pulled me of Hell was because before I died I said I believed in him. But the reason why I didn’t go immediately to heaven was because I truly didn’t believe when I said it.
But while I was in Hell He heard my calls to Him and He decided to pull me out. For this, I am truly thankful.
“But God” I asked, “Why do I still have my normal clothes and these black wings?”
He told me the reason why was that even though I was brought into Heaven from Hell, I would wear what I would in Hell to remind me where I came from.
I nodded and started to leave; but He called me back and told me to ignore what the other angels were saying about me.
I told him that I tried but it still hurt. He said He understood and would tell the other angels to accept me and to forget about my past just like He had done with theirs.
I thanked him and returned to my room in one of the huge houses.
As walked into my room, a little girl ran past my door but stopped and came back. I looked at her and was speechless.
She had the most beautiful brown eyes, white wings and long black hair. She couldn’t have been much older than six.
She stared at me and smiled. “Hi” she said.
I (the black winged idiot) still stood there not knowing what to say. “Hi,” I stuttered out.
“What’s your name?” she asked.
After a few seconds of not being able to reply because of my stupidity I told her my name was Sypher.
“Why are your wings black?” she asked.
“I’d rather not tell you,” I replied.
She walked into my room and looked around.
“Are you alone?” she asked. She sure did ask a lot of questions.
“Yes” I whispered. “And what is your name?”
“Sapphire,” she replied. She walked over to me and touched my right wing. “They’re so pretty,” she said and started to stroke it.
I laughed; picked her up and sat her on my lap.
“Not as pretty as yours though,” I replied and poked hers.
She giggled and started to poke my left wing.
We both laughed and poked each other’s wings. I had never felt so happy in my life.
“Sapphire is that you?” a voice called down the hallway.
Sapphire jumped off my lap and looked outside the door. “Mommy,” she called and ran to her.

“Oh crap,” I thought. I really thought I was in trouble now.
“Come see my new friend,” I heard Sapphire call. My heart stopped.
“Friend?” I repeated inside my head. She called me her friend.
After a few seconds Sapphire and her mother walked in and Sapphire found her way to my lap again.
“He has black wings,” she said and started to stroke them again.
“Yes he does,” her mother replied and smiled. “So you’re her new friend, are you?”
I sat there not knowing whether to respond or stay silent. “Y-yes ma’am,” I replied.
She laughed. “Well there’s no need to fear me,” she said and walked closer. “It’s not like I’m going to hurt you or something.”
I laughed nervously at the horrible joke thinking that there were some here that were planning on killing me here in heaven.
“So,” I asked, “What’s your name ma’am?”
“Well my name is not ma’am,” she replied, “My name is Angela. And yours?”
“Umm…Sypher,” I replied.
“Nice to meet you Sypher” Angela said and reached out her hand to shake mine.
Now if you remember earlier I said I had claws on my hands. Not such a good thing for shaking someone’s hands. And considering the fact that somehow she hadn’t noticed the claws yet; I didn’t shake her hand.
“Well,” she asked, “Are you scared?”
Stupidly I nodded.
She laughed. That didn’t surprise me.
“Aw come on,” she whispered, “I’m not going to hurt you or something.”
I gulped and shook her hand. Surprisingly she didn’t pull back. Actually she continued to shake it for several seconds.
“Nice claws,” she laughed.
“Umm thanks?” I asked.
“Aw stop worrying about what people are going to think about you,” She replied, “If they don’t like you they can get over it.”
I stared at her. “So I’m guessing you know about me then,” I replied, “The demon brought out of Hell and into Heaven? Something that’s never happened before and never will again?”
Angela took her turn and stared at me. “Yes” she replied, “But you’re not a demon.”
“Yes I am” I replied starting to get angry.“I was in Hell for God knows how long.”
“One year,” she answered.
I stopped speaking.
“A year?” I stuttered, “That was it; a year?”
“Seemed like a long time didn’t it?” she replied.
Sapphire (who I completely forgot was sitting on my lap) stared at me and hugged me tightly.
I slowly embraced her and started to cry.
“We’re going to be here for you” Angela whispered, “No matter what everyone else says; me and Sapphire are going to be here for you.”
“Thank you,” I sobbed.
“Don’t cry Sypher,” Sapphire said, “You don’t need to be sad.”
“I’m not sad” I replied, “I’m…happy.”
And right there I realized I wasn’t alone in Heaven. I had Sapphire and her mother as friends. They are the only true family I’d ever had.
So, how am I doing now? I still have a lot of angels who aren’t sure about me, but I’ve learned to accept them. I do have more friends now who have helped me greatly with getting used to living here.
I hope that in time all the angels will come to realize that I’m just like them. And as the old saying used to go, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.”
See ya,
Sypher.


The author's comments:
You know, I'm not quite sure what inspired this piece, but I really like it :)