The Girl who was Me | Teen Ink

The Girl who was Me

By BrittneyCloud SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
BrittneyCloud SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Dont tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

The house was quiet. Even the old wood didn’t groan or creek. I lie there, and listen to the quiet clunk, clunk from the leaking faucet. I sat up, and rubbed my head. The silence was torture. I needed to do something other than lay here.

With a sigh, I stuffed my bare feet into my boots. Now the floor groaned as I headed downstairs. I needed some fresh air. It was raining, but I didn’t care. The sound and smells were comforting. It was darker than I had expected. I squinted, but it didn’t help. Even blind from the darkness, I continued to push myself forward.

By now my hair was soaking wet. I knew somewhere up ahead the dirt road was claimed by the thick roots of a tree in my neighbor’s yard. I slowed my walking, as I tried to make out the path ahead of me. Despite my efforts, my foot caught in a root and I tumbled to the ground.

I let out a gasp of pain when my head slammed to the ground. I groaned, but just laid there. Mud clung to my face, and I welcomed its coolness. It eased my throbbing head. I knew lying there was a bad idea. I needed to get up. I slid my arms under my body so I could push myself up off the ground. I turned my head to the side. My eyes locked onto piercing blue eyes.

I screamed.

Her eyes were glazed over, and her face pale. I squeezed my eyes shut. Maybe it was just a hallucination. I had hit my head pretty hard. Without opening my eyes, I stood up. Quietly, and gently so I wouldn’t slip again. When I was on my feet I slowly opened my eyes. I stared at the bush for a long time. I laughed out loud when I realized that was all it was. Just a bush. Just for laughs I knelt down, and peeked around it.

My scream was even louder the second time. It pierced through the silence of the night. In a matter of seconds I was running. I didn’t care what I hit. I didn’t care that the rain was coming down harder. And I didn’t care I couldn’t see anything. I just sprinted as hard as my legs would allow. In the direction I knew to be safe. Home, I thought. When I reached the house, I flew through the door. I heard it slam behind me, but I didn’t stop running until I reached my dusty attic. I stumbled to the floor. My entire body shook around me, and I didn’t bother to try and calm down.

I pulled my knees to my face and didn’t dare close my eyes. I didn’t want to see what I knew I would. I watched a drip of water glide down a strand of hair in my face. It didn’t keep the image that was now in my head. Nothing could change what I saw. The poor mangled body of the girl. Twisted in ways that were so wrong it made me sick. I raised my shaky hand over my mouth.

All I heard was the leaking faucet. Each drop made me flinch. It sounded as if it whispered death, death, death as each drop hit the sink. I let my eyes close. I saw that body of that girl no matter what. The body of the girl who was me.

-Kal- GOLD said...
-Kal- GOLD, Carthage, North Carolina

"Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible, and recieves the impossible"
-Anonymous

This was really good :)

I liked how it was short enough to keep your interest, but long enough to be thorough. Great job :)