LOVE part 2 | Teen Ink

LOVE part 2

By CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington
CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington

"I know why everyone in this world is so desperate to find love."
"Oh yeah? Why then?"
"Because, it's the closest thing we have to magic."

The wind howls outside my home, twisting and turning the trees as if they are all one. Each time a branch bends a little too far and snaps, the entire forest feels it break off, fall to the ground with a muffled WHUMP. Inside my refuge, I sit in front of my fireplace, a mug of steaming tea between my fingers.

B-b-b-rrr-rr-iinng! My phone ringing startles me. Only a select few know my number, why would any of them call me at this time? B-b-b-rrr-rr-iinng! I stare pointedly at the troublesome noisemaker. Flicking a finger lazily, I wait as the phone comes floating toward me and finally settles in my hand.

“Hel-lo?” I make my voice just a little high-pitches, and croak out the word.

“Oh, don't you gimme that b***s***. Can you truly do no better?” comes the voice of my older sister, Tayla. I smile, knowing that I can stop with the facade.

“I can do much better than that. I just happen to feel lazy today. And you're the only one that would have sensed the magic behind my voice.” I'm smiling into the phone, though i know she can't see me. Unless she cast a Seeing Spell.

“So Lorelei, tell me about this latest ex of yours. I just heard today that you left, with only rumpled hotel sheets and a note for him to remember you by,” my sister half-says, half-questions.
“From what you had told me, he was a nice guy. Why the sudden dump?” Her voice practically oozed curiosity and gossip through the phone.

“There's not much to tell, I guess I just thought we were getting too close. I got the feeling he was planning on telling me he loved me, and I just didn't feel the same for him,” I replied, a sly tone creeping into my voice.

“Well, when do you plan on going looking again?”

“Oh, in a week or so. I wanna settle down a little, do some scoping out of a few places with guy potential.” I can hear the faint giggle through the phone.

“One of these days, there's going to be a man that catches you off guard and makes you want to throw away that schedule of yours. The one you always use on guys.” At that, I laugh openly. A man, throwing my schedule out of whack? Impossible! All men are the same, and using a calendar of which days to date, where to go, what to say, and when to leave just proves it.

“I heard that...” the phone whispers to me.

“Don't be listening in on my thoughts, especially when you're already talking to me.” I feign anger, but underneath, I had planned for my sister to hear my thoughts, as I know she would be so tempted to do. “Well, Tayla Renee Ursula Entity, I would like very much to calm the winds outside my house so that I can sleep.”

“Lorelei Optimus Vega Entity, I''m sure you would. G'night, and I'll talk to you tomorrow. I need to take you shopping!” Even my sister's voice sounds bouncy.

“Would that be, clothes shopping or boy shopping?” I inquire, chuckling to myself. I already know the answer to that.

“Take a wild guess!” And with that, our conversation ends. Guiding the phone back to it's charger across the room with my finger, I debate dragging myself across my house to my oh-so-comfortable bed, against curling up in this kinda-sorta comfy chair. My drooping eyes win over my squished muscles, and I fall into a dreamless sleep quickly.