Icarus | Teen Ink

Icarus MAG

By Rachel Lofgren BRONZE, Groton, Massachusetts
Rachel Lofgren BRONZE, Groton, Massachusetts

I am free! The feeling is incredible, like nothing I have experienced before. I have nothing to compare it to, except what a bird must feel: the height, the wide blue sky all around, the dark ocean below. The freedom. At this moment, I would gladly give anything to fly like a bird forever. I never want to land.

I fly in great looping circles and experiment by tipping my arms left and right. I fly lower and lower, skimming my hand in the water. My father shouts to me, warning me of the dangers: the mist will dampen the feathers in my wings, and they will go limp. I laugh from sheer ­delight, but obey and return to him.

The sun is hot on my back and the breeze holds me aloft in a cocoon of warmth. I am content for the first time since Minos imprisoned us in the labyrinth. The heat above entices me, and I climb a little higher. My father does not notice, so I fly even higher. The sun grows warmer. It is wonderful. Down on earth, it is so cold. But up here, I am warmer than I have ever been. I float on the breeze, resting my arms.

I hear my father shouting my name, and I look down. He has a look of terror on his face, but I do not know why.

Suddenly, I find myself slipping lower, away from the heat. I flap my wings, hoping to rise again, but I can not. The sun has melted the wax that hold my wings together. I continue to fall; there is nothing I can do.

I rush past my father in a freefall, and he shouts my name. I reach out to him and he grips my fingers, but I slip from his grasp. I am frightened. The ocean swells up beneath me, larger and larger. It looms closer.

In a second I am swallowed up. The last thing I see is my father looking down in terrible sadness, calling my name. But the ocean snatches his voice away from me, and I see no more.

Nathan Dellston BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey
I agree. It should capture my mind and I shouldn't know what's going to happen.

Miniterror GOLD, Yuma, Arizona

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

I believe it's a very good piece, but it is not original enough for me. I prefer something completly original, something that will capture my imagination for the first time.

GeeGi BRONZE said...
GeeGi BRONZE, Park City, Utah

“Being crazy isn't enough.”
― Dr. Seuss

“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
― Dr. Seuss

Wow, this is an amazing peice. I'm sort of a mythology nut, so it's cool to see some of that on this site. You're an amazing writer. Hey, I know it's a little annoying, but could someone rate and comment my story? It's called the Story of the Demons, and I would really appreciate it if you read it. Thanks

NightStalker PLATINUM, San Diego, California

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
-Adam Savage

Absolutly beautiful

oneword said...
oneword, Carrollton, Texas
This poem is epic

sweetiepye16 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

It only goes up from here.

It's wonderful how well your able to retell the story with such amazing detail. I love it!

4everyoung15 BRONZE, Moreno Valley, California

"When life knocks you down on your knees, just remember you are in the perfect position for praying"- Unknown

I 4got 2 say Im a mythology freak ;D

its amazing how you use greek mythology to make an interesting story with ur touch!!! when i started reading of the feathers i wuz thinking it was the story of Icarus and his father being liberated from the maze..... no wonder it got chosen for the magazine!!! Excellent job I felt like I was flying for a second there ;D

Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
Very nice! wow that was sooo kewl! I very nice piece of work! great job! I just posted a new story i wrote called: Alien invasion series book one: the caller. If any of u had time please go check it out and post feedback and comments. It would be much appreciated! Thanks! and keep writing everyone! :)(:

crazywriter662 PLATINUM, Oak Creek, Wisconsin

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

I really liked this peice, and I'd love to see another, maybe in the point of veiw of Dadelus (Sorry if I spelled it wrong . . .)

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

i totally loned this, u can really help people tp empathise with the whole story.

(i was almost crying lol)

MosoSem GOLD said...
MosoSem GOLD, Maseru, Other

"I'm beautiful in my way, because God makes no mistakes, baby I was born this way!", Lady Gaga.

I love this!

BlindSamurai GOLD, Bridgewater, New Jersey

A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.
-Malcolm X

When you mail in, what adress do you send the story too? Sorry, I'm a little confused about that.

And will you have a higher chance of getting published if you physically mail your work as opposed to sending it in online?

.rauha said...
.rauha, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania

"Life is short; buy the shoes."
Haha, not really...how about, "It is what it is."

Thank you very much. :)

.rauha said...
.rauha, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania

"Life is short; buy the shoes."

It was published online because they put it in one of their print magazines. I didn't submit it online, I mailed it in. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Megaphone1927 SILVER, The Tardis, Tennessee

"If you don't peer into the shadows, you won't see the ghosts."-Flora Segunda

This is really impressive, I've never heard a retelling of this story so vivid. Even though it is a little sad, I think the last two paragraphs are the best. It isn't over descriptive and cheesy like alot of thing on this sight are.

but I have a question.

How long did it take the editor people to read your thing and post it online? I've submitted 2 or 3 things, but it's takin' forever.

RachelL said...

Yes, I do too (the dreams). I'm glad you liked my retelling, and I'm glad (sort of) that you were so sad at the end...it means that I successfully conveyed the emotions that I wanted to. :)

I am so happy that this made it into the magazine!

Don't forget to vote, please! :)

korhel said...
korhel, Rockhampton, Other

"I wish I had the guts to walk away and forget about you... But I can't because I know you won't come after me... And that's what hurts the most."

awesome job at retellling=]

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

This was a thrilling retelling of the story of Icarus. I loved the description of flying but was broken-hearted when Icarus fell into the ocean (although I already knew his end).

I have dreamed many times about flying, but I never get far off the ground.