Secrets of the Night | Teen Ink

Secrets of the Night

By CloudWanderer BRONZE, Wheelersburg, Ohio
CloudWanderer BRONZE, Wheelersburg, Ohio

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

"Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of your true love. If you must steal, steal from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. If you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away."

Have you ever wondered what happens after you fall asleep? When the darkness enfolds your limp body, and the shadows swallow all sources of light? Some children fantasize about big purple monsters in closets. Others imagine a killer in a corner of their bedroom, waiting to end their life. Why do you awake from nightmares? Why aren't you cursed to forever wander through the dream world, bonded to your fears for enternity? Who brings you out?

I do. I inhabit the corners of your room when you turn off the lights, watching over you as you sleep. But only the strong of mind do I watch--the Mindhunters love a challenge, so they prey on vivid Dreamers.

Of course, I do not work alone. There are many of us that watch over the sleeping. We like to call ourselves Guardians. You may ask how we came to be, and I must warn you, reader, that the transition from normal human Dreamer to Guardian is not one of peace, yet it has to be one of free will. Otherwise it will not work. But I must tell you, you will be safer--much, much safer--as a Guardian.

My personal story is all happenstance: accidents that should never have been committed. My life is forever changed. . .

This is a small excerpt, a work in progress. If this goes over well, I'm hoping to put more. Let me know what you think!

GreyGirl ELITE said...
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
Ok, when do we get more?!! Nice idea -- I like the danger of transition paired with the pull of will.

Youngshakespeare18 BRONZE, Ashland, Kentucky

"Love is defined not by money, clothes, or cars but by the mutural feeling of the one of whom you are shareing your heart with"-Nick Hall

possibly the most amazing thing i've ever read!

Well I love you baby this is an amazing peice

hrf1434 GOLD said...
hrf1434 GOLD, Collierville, Tennessee

Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover

I love the story but I want to know more, tell me more, write more

Haha thank you! Still waiting on the continuation to get "pended" by the editors lol  :) thanks for commenting

V.T.Summers BRONZE, Longview, Washington

Things rarely turn out as expected.

This is awesome!!  The concept is very interesting and I would like to know more.  :)

ynattirb said...
ynattirb, Wheelersburg, Ohio
Your work is so good post some more!

I know! I wish they didnt have to take so long.

Will do...

Thanks, me niether ;) lol

anonymous1 BRONZE, Ironton, Ohio

In a completely insane world music is my only salvation-me

its pending approval  i only wrote one paragraph  and asked for constructive critisism on how it starts out btw anyone reading this go check to c if my article is posted and remember constructive critisism welcome

dreamer759 SILVER, San Ramon, California

"I know, right?"
(you know you say it)

wow this is awesome. the concept is so cool and mysterious. cant wait for the continuation :)

ThatClarinetPerson SILVER, Tequesta, Florida

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."
~Marvin the Paranoid Android (from the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series)
Statistical analysis suggests that i am probably in tune with someone
(hahahahaha! I love this cause i'm never ever ever in tune >o

a few weeks? how about a few months =P

I guess for anyone who reads this, I should let you know that I check out stuff from the people who comment. Most of the time I both give feedback and rate articles.

Thanks! I have put in the "continuation" of this piece to be checked by the editors, but it'll be a few weeks yet.

Why thank you darkunknown ;) cant wait til your piece comes out. i'll definitely check it out

Thanks pheonix! :)

Thank you! And yeah I guess i did say that lol. But i meant just started writing on teenink... :)

Whylime said...
Whylime, Brentwood, Tennessee

Grief is the price we pay for love -- Queen Elizabeth ll
Don't go there, I'll only follow -- ???
Why is a raven like a writing desk? -- The Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland
Chewing gum is really gross, chewing gum I hate the most -- Willy W.

you said somewhere you were just starting to write! But this is awsome! it sounded like i was reading from a revered author's new novel! well done! no mistake! and very professional sounding! 

Phoenix611 GOLD, Avon, Colorado

"Zip it, or I'll come over there and zip it for you." -Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

absolutely excellent!!! well done!