Strong, Swift, and Shocking | Teen Ink

Strong, Swift, and Shocking

August 8, 2010
By live.laugh.write BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
live.laugh.write BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
4 articles 1 photo 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” -Dr. Seuss


This is surprising really. Me, creating something…writing a story. I’ve always enjoyed the sound of typing on a keyboard, and the feeling of typing really fast. But who could guess it would lead me to this! I’m sitting here, when I should be in bed, and what am I doing? I’m making something while listening to the intense instrumental music from movies to get me in the mood. Sometimes, I wonder, can I really do this? Do I have the right? But, I can, and I will. If I can’t do anything else, I shall write and while I may not be the best, I’ll have something of mine in the world. Mine, with my name on it, out there in the world. Who knows? I could be famous one day! But anyways, that’s not why I’m up at this late of an hour on a laptop. The reason? I have a story to tell that’s all mine. Well, there are others involved of course, but I, Taryn McCoy have a story to tell.

My story involves as all good ones do, a hero! Or I guess a heroine? Anyways, you get the point. But mine also, is a true story. It may seem like fiction, but it’s true! This whole story that you are reading is absolutely true! Of course, not many of you will believe me and go about your life remembering a story where the girl claimed it was true. I get it! I would totally be one of those people too, if this something hadn’t happened to me. But I mean think about it, you have to wonder how many “supposedly” fiction stories are actually true. And if they are true, that means we face a lot of things that we have no clue about. But anyways, back to me. Not to sound selfish, but this is my story, and I want people to know about it. Even if you do think its fiction.

My story starts on a (not to sound too cliché) stormy summer day. The clouds were grumbling and the rain made a nice pitter patter on my window. I was sitting in my room on my laptop, looking at my favorite sites. All of a sudden a bright light flashed outside my window and the thunder boomed. My fingers that were still on the keyboard got a shock.

“OUCH!” I exclaimed and quickly unplugged my computer from the wall. “I guess that wasn’t the smartest thing to do…note to self: Unplug the computer during thunder storms.” I said to myself as I checked my computer for any signs of damage. There were none and I carefully placed my computer back on the desk and turned it off. I sighed and looked for something else to do. There were no more good books for me to read and all of a sudden I was really hungry. I wished for something good to eat and walked into the kitchen. My older brother, Will, was in the kitchen already and I glared at him as he grinned and took the last Oreo.

“Seriously Will? Those were mine in the first place!” I said and tried to reach it as he turned and began to walk away.

“Hey, they were here just waiting for me!” Will replied and stuck the whole thing in his mouth. “Yum, so perfectly crafted for my taste buds!” He said with his mouth full.

“Jerk.” I said and pushed him. I didn’t push him that hard but he fell backwards. Let me point out the big size difference between us. Will is a football player and is pretty macho, while I’m athletic… I’m still nowhere near the size of my brother. He is almost six feet tall, while I rest at five feet six inches.

Will blinked at me from the floor and I sighed. “Really? You don’t have to be such a drama queen!” I told him as I put my hands on my hips.

“How did you do that?” Will asked still sitting on the floor.

“I didn’t do anything! You fell! I didn’t even push you that hard!” I said defending myself.

“No, that hurt. Here push me as hard as you can.” He said and got off the floor and positioned himself more securely.

“Ugh, this ridiculous!” I said but walked over to him anyways. I looked at him. “Ready?”

“Yea-“He started, but then I pushed him as hard as I could and he literally went flying. He landed with an “Oof” on the couch. I gasped and looked at my hands.

“How did I do that?” I asked him with wonder in my voice. He just stared at me.

And that was how I first discovered I had super powers.


The author's comments:
It's shocking how fast inspiration can hit you. It can be as fast and as intense as lightning.