Angel of Death | Teen Ink

Angel of Death

November 1, 2010
By Raytheraym PLATINUM, Belton, Missouri
Raytheraym PLATINUM, Belton, Missouri
47 articles 35 photos 457 comments

Any second now, I think as I watch from a distance.

It never gets easier and it never ends.

I've been doing this for so long, I don't even blink when it finally happens. There's a screech and a scream. I take a deep breath and swiftly move forward.

Graceful as ever, I make my way to the young woman. She lies in the middle of the street with her body spread out as if on a crucifix.

I kneel down beside her ragged, torn, and bloodied body. With my long, silky black hair hanging around my face like a veil, I look down on her forever-peaceful face. Her eyes are closed and I sigh a breath of relief. The eyes are too hard to look at.

I gently place my hand on her shoulder and she jolts and opens her eyes as if awakening from a nightmare. She looks at me with her pale blue eyes and I can tell instantly that she knows.

I smile sadly, almost apologetically. "Yes," I whisper and nod slowly. I help her into a sitting position, breaking her away from herself, and watch quietly as she cries into her hands.

Then standing, I glance around. People are stopped and staring. I can hear sirens in the distance, but I know that it's too late.

I tend to avoid paying any attention to the living, but for a moment I register the shock and sadness on each of their faces.

If only they knew, I am watching.