Together We Can | Teen Ink

Together We Can

December 20, 2010
By BrownEyedGirl GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
BrownEyedGirl GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
11 articles 2 photos 80 comments

Favorite Quote:
If life were easy, where is the adventure?
If you never leap, you will never know what it is like to fly.


I was running as fast as my legs would carry me, trying to get myself to fly. I had to escape; escape my problems of my certain future. Is it possible? I didn’t know. The rough ground kept pounding my bare feet, the long train of my dress flowed freely behind me as I held it away from the floor, looking back ever so often sure I wasn’t being followed.

The sun kept getting closer to the horizon reminding me that my time was running low. I forced myself to move faster. Everything around me became a blur; the colors of orange and brown from the trees were crazy swirls surrounding me. The wind of my speed kept smashing against my skin. My breath was speeding, accelerating my heart. I felt a tear trickle down my cheek before it was blown away to the past behind me.

I stopped in a sudden jolt through my body and fumbled to the ground. I contracted myself into a ball as I lay there to cry in a bed of leaves. My crying slowed and my hair was crazily tangled across my face blotched in tears. I can’t fulfill this destiny that lay before me, and I don’t want to. The fear in my heart is too great. The moon’s curse is too great for my breaking heart to bare.

I sit up straight to the crackle of leaves behind me. I whip my head around, freeing my hair stuck to my face. It was him, the beautiful, wonderful man I could not forget. He slowly and cautiously approached me before sitting down next to me. He puts his arm around my shoulder that gave me comfort that he was never aloud to give me in my palace. It was warm in his rising temperature; as was my own temperature, for our curses began to emerge.

“I can’t do it. My life says I’m a princess, but my destiny says I belong to the moon.” My pleading eyes were daggers into his as I didn’t want to let him go. His and my eyes were blood-shot red. His hand rubbed up and down my arm, allowing my tears like thunderstorms to start once again. As I searched for his hand he said, “Don’t worry. Together we can fight this.” For once in my life I felt that his words were something I could believe.


The author's comments:
This is a piece I entered into a Reflections contest. Tell me if you like it!