The Kingdom | Teen Ink

The Kingdom

By Miklthepikl BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
Miklthepikl BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

Syn stood upon the roofs, surveying his kingdom. The city streets were alive with the sounds of crashing waves on the docks, the banter of the markets, and the steady, never ending droning from the factories. Everyone was complacent, falling into the rhythm of the world. Beneath the mask of the mundane, there lay a world of crime, corruption and manipulation. That world, the world of darkness, that was Syn’s Kingdom.

He leapt off the roof, down to the streets. It was time to go to work. He shuffled through the crowds, searching for his mark. Thus was his job, to eliminate those who knew more then they should. Thus was the rule. He remembered a time when the Internet was a free realm, where one was allowed to learn what they wanted, when they wanted. In the year 2034, things changed. He remembered the day when the companies took over under the guise that they were going to only stop the pirating. But over time they started limiting the use of the nets to civilians, restricting its free use to their employees, and even then, it was strictly monitored. Syn’s job came in when one of these employees overstepped their boundaries.

There. He found his target, the 29-year-old women. She matched the description that the Government gave him. Syn pushed through the crowd, past the colourful outfits, his goal in sight. He grabbed his pistol, turned off the safety, and approached the target. He spun her around, and froze. She was stunning. Red hair, piercing grey eyes… He stuttered, trying to find the right words.
“Um… I... well… You’re…”
She looked at him, confused, and then said, “Screw you”
Syn didn’t know what to do. So he fell back on the time-honored tradition of the rag. He yanked the rag out of his pocket, and covered her face with it. She struggled, only for a second, and then fell.

***
She woke with a jolt.
“Ah, so you finally join the world of the living”
It was the man who had tried to stop her with the gun! She thought it was a bluff… what was this about? And why am I tied to this chair? These thoughts were interrupted.
“According to the files I received, I see you’re interested in the history of the Companies, correct?”
She had an odd taste in her mouth. “What’s your point?”
“Well, you know its illegal to do that.”
Crap. “What do you have to do with this?”
“Oh nothing, I’m just the bounty hunter. Now, I turn you into the company, and I get paid! Everyone wins! Well, except for you… but that’s what happens when you overstep the boundaries. Nothing personal sweetheart.”
He put a hand on her shoulder, and stole a swift kiss. Her body’s convulsions ceased, as she looked into his eyes. He winked at her, and left the room.

***
Her cries echoed through the halls. Syn left the room, sober. He loved watching people squirm, but the thought of her fate… it left him feeling venerable. He shambled over to the collection office, and handed them the slip. In turn, they handed him a credit chip.
Two men in black suits met him at the entrance. Syn said to them with a smile, “What? Already? I just turned one in! At least let me have a day to rest!”
“I’m sorry sir, but you know to much now.”
“WHAT!? I barely spoke to her! Please guys, give me another chance!”
The gentleman on the right reached for his gun.
“Ah, I get it, no dice…” Syn’s voice dropped.
A shot rang out. A body dropped. Syn smiled, his guns muzzle pointed at the man on the left.
“We forget this ever happened. Ok?”
“You know I can’t do that”
“Well, today isn’t your lucky day, is it?”
His firearm discharged, leaving a very small, very clean hole in the man’s forehead. He dashed back to the room, and kicked in the door. She glared at him, he smiled. Quickly, silently, he cut the straps that trapped her, and stole her away from the company.

BrightBurningCampeador PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
Nice! I hope you continue this story

HollandC BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

"Slaves would be tyrants, were the choice theirs." Victor Hugo

First!

Just kidding. Good premise. Good execution. I'm guessing this is the setup for a larger project? I'm looking forward to it.