Motherly Instinct | Teen Ink

Motherly Instinct

By zachmcv BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina
zachmcv BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina

Nothing is the culmination of all that is nonexistent

An old man swiftly strode to the top of a hill with an ornate staff in hand. On the way to the hill, this old man saw a knight in black and gold armor riding a horse. The old man looked into the distance and saw a dragon with emerald scales and four eggs; each egg was emerald with specks of sapphire sprinkled on it. The old man, himself, wore robes of the sky and a snowfall of a beard. His cottony white hair was hidden from sight due to a sky-blue hood. The old man saw that the knight was coming.

“Looks like trouble’s coming,” the old man muttered to himself. His voice was that of a young man: rich and fairly deep. The knight came riding, heading toward the dragon. He had a ridiculous grin of triumph on his face. The emerald dragon lifted its massive head and sniffed the air. It smelled the metal of a knight’s armor. The creature looked at its eggs and let out an extremely loud roar. Rather than turning tail and fleeing, the knight proceeded even faster. That was the moment he’d been waiting for.

The knight hopped off the horse and walked toward the dragon, who shot a jet of flame at him. The knight brought his shield up to block the flame. When he put the shield down, the knight was sneering at the angry dragon. The beast swiped a clawed paw at the knight and he jumped out of the way but was caught by a backswipe. It then shot a beam of flame at the knight, but the fury of the dragon increased the heat of the flame, turning it blue. The knight brought his shield up again to block the flame, but it melted due to the sheer heat of the fiery breath. When the knight put the half-melted shield down, his face twisted into a ferocious snarl and then a glitter caught his eye: two emerald eggs with sapphire specks. He grinned wickedly and walked quickly to the four dragon eggs.

In order to keep the dragon away from himself, the knight drew his other blade and drove them both into the dragon’s paw. It howled in pain and tried to snap at the knight, but missed. The knight scrambled to the eggs and all went dark for the wicked knight. The dragon got the swords out of its paw and the flat part of its blade-like tail connected with the helmet of the knight and sent him flying over the horizon. The dragon then looked at the horse and roared. The horse went galloping away, neighing in fear. The emerald beast then walked over to its eggs. The old man on the hill chuckled.

“You never threaten the eggs of a mother dragon,” he said. As if in agreement, the dragon looked in the direction of the old man and moved her head in a fashion that resembled a nod. Then, the old man blew away, like dust in the wind.

This story is dealing with my favorite area of writing and reading: middle ages and high fantasy.

Matt said...
Looks good. Nice detail, cool ending. Love it.

zachmcv BRONZE said...
zachmcv BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina

Thanks, Jessie. I'll send in more stuff a little later if you would take a look at it. Spread the word about this story! Get your friends to rate my story!

zachmcv BRONZE said...
zachmcv BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina

The goal of any piece of writing is to show it and not tell it. Mrs. Gainey taught us that at the start of the semester.

JGugger said...
Great story Zach. You're a talented kid :).

dbowles said...
Great imagery! Well done!

zachmcv BRONZE said...
zachmcv BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina

That is a good point. However, that was not my intention. When I write short stories, I don't try to put a moral into it. That just isn't my style.

Super Mormon said...
Your mother

Shaman Waya said...
I definatly agree. And the true moral of the story is:Never try to attack a shebear's cubs. She will cut you!...and bite and scratch and just generally maul you to death.

someone should totally make a supermormon comicbook.  That would totally be zads!

SuperMormon said...
Halfro.  A half-afro.

Urmom said...
Necroflagellum.  Dead flagellated organisms!  Beat that.

zachmcv BRONZE said...
zachmcv BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina

Hippopotomonstrosesquippadaliophilia. BEAT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

zachmcv BRONZE said...
zachmcv BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina

Anekronessism

OH WHAT! YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT!

dApRoPhEt said...

Squablodite.  Verb+Noun

YOU JUST GOT OWNED>:})

zachmcv BRONZE said...
zachmcv BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina

Demonstructionism. Oh, what now!

My word is seventy-gabillion times better than "awenique."  I CHALLENGE YOU TO A WORD WAR!

zachmcv BRONZE said...
zachmcv BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina

Thanks anyway for the complement. I wasn't questioning its awesomeness, I was just asking where that word came from. Are you going to send it to a dictionary company? You should. It's pretty awenique! Ha! I can create my own words, too!

It derives from "scrumptous" and "scent."  Do not question its awesomeness, or Omniscientron 3000 will incinerate your house.

zachmcv BRONZE said...
zachmcv BRONZE, Newport, North Carolina

Scrumtrelescent? Where does that "word" come from? What is the word's breakdown?

Atlantor said...
Zads!!!  Totally sweet and epic!  I'm going to invent a word for how awesome this story is.  Scrumtrelescent!