Characters | Teen Ink

Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Of course it's not happening now.  And of course aliens aren't making me write that... ;)  Thanks for the comment!

LinkinPark12 PLATINUM, Lincolnshire, Other

Work like you don’t need money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching. ¦ I like change - but only when everything stays the same.

Aha! This wouldn't surprise me if this was happening already!  This probably happened during WW1.. 

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I'm glad you liked it! :)  However, I am not active on Teen Ink any longer and have no time to check out your work.

RandiRose SILVER, New York, New York

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

Fantastic idea!!!! I would have never thought of that! Will you please check out my writing? I would love some feedback.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you very much!  I guess I touched on a subject a lot of people contemplate.

Setizia GOLD said...
Setizia GOLD, Darnestown, Maryland

The purpose of life is to search eternally for the purpose of life

Gosh, you seem to have read my mind completely. Several days ago I was comtemplating the same exact idea, except without the apolcolyptic debate. But other than that, terrific tone, straightforward, firm, yet familiar. Also, unlike other articles, I needed no further explanation of events :D

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

HudaZav SILVER said...
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

Amazing work! I never see unique work and plots, but i loved this. =)You dont have to, but if you have time, mind reading my poem "Boomerang"? Once again, I love your work. gr8 job

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Uh, thanks?  That sounds good.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

MorenSore SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Liberty is not the power of doing what we like, but the right of being able to do what we ought."
~Lord Acton

Hi Carrie Ann, you just blew my mind, in more ways than one.

albinotiger GOLD, Gloucester, Massachusetts

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win"- Stephen King
“In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate”- Isaac Asimov

lol that is so funny :D I love it (any aliens reading this please leave me with a happily ever after) and maybe check out my work sometime

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Haha, thanks leafy.  I wouldn't call myself 'famous', though.  ;)  Thanks for commenting!

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

Haha Carrie Ann, I didn't know you were this famous! XD This piece had caught my eye because it kind of goes along with one of my pieces ("The Interview," if you're curious), about the relationships between characters and their Creators. We each explained it a bit differently, but I thought it was cool how our ideas were kinda related. Anywau, nice job!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

You're too kind! :)  Thank you so much for commenting and making my day.

fanglover101 BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

"there is nothing to fear but fear it's self"

wow you are the best writter and i thought i may be good but you your great

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!

LunaLives GOLD said...
LunaLives GOLD, South Bend, Indiana

Because I can!-Me "Life is a choice and death is a decision"-Lil Wayne

And you did so splendidly!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment! :)  But no, I'm not expanding upon this.

Ariya GOLD said...
Ariya GOLD, Charleston, South Carolina

Some men just want to watch the world burn.
-Alfred (Batman Begins)

This was really good!  I love that story line that our actions aren't our own and I would love it if you expanded and made a short story or something.