Terra | Teen Ink

Terra

By Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado
Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

The wind blew hard in Terra's face her overly large ears flopping around like fish as she walked outside with her class. Scattered trees blocked any attempts she could of made to escape the bully's teasing her.
“Nerd”, laughed Albert pointing at Terra like she was a zoo animal, “She knew every answer to every question in History! And, on her first day too.”
Well thought Terra listening to everyone's laughter there goes my good mood she clenched her teeth“Well Albert Storkson I think your probably just a jerk who’s got nothing better to do than try to make someone shed tears!”
“No your just a nerd with a big mouth.”
Terra dropped her books and tackled him, punching him in the eye as he struggled to get to his feet, holding him down with one hand, then she clawed at his hair with all her might until she had a clump big enough to make a bird’s nest with it then she stopped and let it drop slowly to the floor.
“She just beat up the worst bully in the schoolhouse”, whispered one girl.
Terra stood up and brushed her shorts off, bending down for her books ignoring everyone's chattering. She shoved them into her patchwork bag and sped her bike all the way home to Nancy.
Terra’s mom, Nancy, was an odd folk. She hung her undies in windows to dry instead of drying them on the clothesline like everything else. She cooked asparagus and cabbage instead of potatoes or skinned carrots. She said “what’s not to like?” to Terra’s friend Sarah and Sarah ignored her completely after that (Nancy said, “Must be that you look funny with your weird ears, and you eat foods that are exotic to her”).
When Nancy saw Terra she coughed, “Honey you’re home! I missed you,” when Terra was wrapped into a bear hug her brown hair stroked, Terra scented something recognizable and horrible.
“Mom”, said Terra pulling back, “you promised you’d stop smoking when I said it would be the death of you!”
“Terra, I’m your mom I’ve got to make some of my own decisions now and then. Besides my friend, George is turning 76 this year and he smokes. You don’t see him lying in bed kneeling over with some disease. Do you?”
“Fine then!” Terra walked to her hay filled bed and lay there furious. How could Nancy give up life and smoke? Smoke when she was only 34 and had a daughter? Terra didn’t understand Nancy sometimes, for the better or the worse Terra wasn’t sure.
She sat up and tried to read over Nancy's coughing but her eyelids felt as if there were made of lead it was late too. She could feel her eyes closing. Closing…
Terra froze. In front of her was a yellow thing with green eyes that were almost cat like.
“Help me young one, help me, I haven’t much time,” Said the thing with a young tortured voice.
“How can I help you?” Terra asked.
“You’ll know what to do when the time comes, young one, remember my name you will need it. I am Rella... Rella….”
Terra’s eyes flew open. It was still dark outside, yet she didn’t feel tired; she felt scared. Just a dream, just a dream she thought, but then the thing Rella as it had called itself looked so real almost like a dragon but it had been foggy. And Rella? The name sounded so foreign so outlandish. How could anything have such a name on Earth? How?
It was obvious that it was just a dream and Terra saw no importance in it. So Terra sunk deep in the waters of now dreamless sleep.

Terra skipped to school the next day. The sky was filled with clouds covering the Sun, and it was dark and cold, Terra didn’t know why but she had always liked days like this. Days like these felt welcoming like they were days filled with exiting new things.
She was nearing the schoolhouse now and could see Albert Storkson and his gang waiting for her, her happiness evaporated immediately. John tapped his foot, and Nelson was staring her down. And Albert? My was he a dreadful sight his right eye was swollen and puffy and he had bald spots in his hair. She knew she had caused his appearance but she didn’t feel guilty, he had been mean to her and had taunted almost everyone else she had seen.
She stopped nose to nose with Albert. He faltered a little then squared his shoulders to match her posture.
“What do you want now Albert?” she asked.
“I want you to let us,” he paused gesturing to John himself and Nelson, “remain the bullies of the schoolhouse and for you to act as just a normal girl with no importance.”
“And why might I ask would you think that I would ever agree to that?”
“Because you’re just like every other woman you have to look up to us men and us down on you that’s how it’s always been and it’s not about to change on your behalf.”
“Unfortunately for you I am your equal, and will always be your equal.”
“Not so fast girl, Nelson, John let’s get her!”
All three of them rushed at her but she stood her ground until they were strides away then she ran behind them, launching herself on to John’s back as fast as she could, under her weight he collapsed. Having dealt with him Terra ran to Albert’s side, grabbed his right arm and twisted as hard as she could. Albert let out a howl of pain and collapsed. She looked towards Nelson he was gaping at her. He had not seen yesterday’s episode having been in detention and she scared him.
“What?” she asked, “you want to infuriate me too?”
“No ma’am”, he said. She took a step forward and he fainted.
Terra looked up the rest of the schoolhouse was backing up. Terra sighed she had only had one friend, Sarah, that was it and they had been friends for only 3 weeks.
The bell rung and Terra had no choice to follow the class inside. She could hear them whispering on the way in.
“…Nelson has never been that scared before…” someone murmured.
“Think of that Albert getting beaten up by a girl…she might have broken his arm…” whispered another.
“I think she did.”
It seemed as if everyone was against her. Having friends had never been her talent but usually she wasn't hated.
“Welcome back to the school children. Let us take attendance,” said Mr. Gooseberry.
“Rosa?”
“Here!”
“Ben?”
“Here!”
“Timmy?”
“Here!”
“Terra?”
“Here uh sir,” some of the other kids snickered and pointed, but she ignored them.
“Lewis,” Mr. Gooseberry frowned, “does anyone know where Lewis is?”
“Absent,” said Ben.
“Okay Thank you, sir. Albert?” Mr. Gooseberry frowned again, “does anyone know where he is?”
“He’s in the field,” said Rosa helpfully.
Mr. Gooseberry did not look pleased at all. He stood up and walked to the window, “Oh my God! The trouble those three can get themselves into. Come with me class.”
They walked outside and Mr. Gooseberry picked up Albert Storkson's limp arm causing the child to stir and moan. Mr. Gooseberry let his arm drop to the ground and inspected the bleeding boy’s face it was obvious that he could tell a human had caused the trouble. He looked oveer the field.
“Who did this?” He whispered. The other kids looked to Terra. Mr. Gooseberry’s eyes flared his voice raised to a screach, “Miss Morgan please go home and inform your mother of this event and tell her I want you whip- I mean punished immediately.”
“Right now?” asked Terra.
“Yes right now! Stop gaping at me and GO! Let your mother beat you,” he shoved her and she stumbled forward, “One more thing, this doesn't excuse you from school tomorrow.”

Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

You've got a great story with a very strong-headed primary character, I would advise you to revise your work some more before posting a final copy of the piece. Keep it up! ***

popcorn33 said...
will you let me know when you add to this?  I would like to know what happens. The main character is really trong.  I want to know where her adventure will take her.

Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado

Thank you for the comments, when I read my work I usually find something I don't like about it and get very afraid that everyone who reads it isn't going to like it. Your comments are very encouraging, again I must say thank you.  

Brooklynfyre PLATINUM, Warsaw, Indiana
OMG!! i love this!! please write more!!!

shambo said...
I am really curious to see what will happen next.  I like the strong female character and don't like the bully at all.

Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois

"Let your mind sart a journey through a strange new world..."

I love how you describe action scenes, and I love strong female characters. Such a creative idea!

ps great characterzation with Nancy

Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois

OH MY GOSH!!! WRITE MORE PLEASEEE!!!!!!! OR I WILL DIE OF SUPSESNE!!