Myrtle | Teen Ink

Myrtle

By Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado
Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

A couple dressed in brown sodden rags stood in the middle of the line awaiting for their turn to learn their daughter's fate, everyone was dressed in this way for it was the King's wish to appear more stylish than everyone in the Fate Line even the rich. The line moved along sluggishly, the air, damp and smelling of mildew and the occasional pool of lava bubbled and spewed.

The woman shivered pulling her dark gray hands tighter around the shivering girl. Only one person was between them and The Box of Fate. The child reached his hand into the box and a tiny card stuck too it.

The fate master leaned in his face expecting and wishing for some excitement in his miserable life, “Well what does it say?”

“It says peasant sir.”

“Very good move along. Next.”

The couple urged their child to reach her hand in. Immediately a bulky envelope stuck to her pudgy fingers. The couple looked at it and then each other, frowning.

“Well what does it say?”

The woman shook her head, “We think it incorrect sir.”

“But it says?” Urged the fate master.

She shook her head again, “It says she'll be of great importance, a princess.”

The fate master grabbed the envelope, “Ah... yes that's correct The Box of Fate never lies,” he handed it back to them, “now move along. Next?”

“It says peasant sir.”

I stuffed a roll of bread into my mouth licking my lips. It was salty with traces of coals but all in all it was a good roll.

“Myrtle? Is that ya? Come down here Mr. Ken wants to talk to you and me about Orphanage pride or something like that.”

“Um.. okay Hawk,” I said through roll, “Maybe hes giving us a history lesson on Gornbeld?”

“I doubt it he sounded exited.”

I walked down the stairs doubtfully and looked inquiringly at Hawk. But she just stared at me gaping a curtain of curly orange hair falling over her eyes.

“What?” I asked.

“Ya braided your hair and used gel to make it stand on end. Right?”

“Right.”

“It looks...amazing. Lets go to Mr. Ken's chamber so he doesn't bite our heads off.”

“Okay lets hope he isn't talking about those awful princesses.”

I ran the distance to the chamber in seconds. Leaving Hawk to pant on after me like a dog. I picked up the shrunken head and knocked. Mr. Ken opened the door and looked at me his eyes smoldering in eternal fire.

“Mr. Ken you wanted us?” I asked.

“You two mortals are late,” I gulped maybe he would bite are heads off after all, “But Mrs. Ken made me promise to spare you that includes all your limbs and intestines and your blah, blah, blah whatevers.”

I smiled Mrs. Ken was nice for a fire demon. Her black face didn't hide her kindhearted soul she gave Hawk and me cookies when she visited and even lulled us to sleep when we were young.

Hawk placed her hand on my shoulder, “could we come inside Mr. Ken please?”

“I suppose,” he sighed opening the door wider, “then I can tell you why I summoned you.”

Hawk walked inside gingerly and sat in a chair that said “RESERVED FOR MORTALS.” I followed her in slowly. Mr. Ken was sitting in a brass chair with a brass desk in front of it a picture of Mrs. Ken was propped on the desk serving as a paper weight. My chair said “RESERVED FOR FRAGILE MORTALS” I shook my head sadly I knew for a fact I wasn't fragile. My muscles were larger than anyone's in the orphanage other than Mr. Ken. But he was probably referring to the fact that humans had never been built for Gornbeld and demons had more advantages or something.

“Now as for why your here Mrs. Ken insisted that you were given the right of taking your fate cards out of vault if you please.” I grinned at Hawk she smiled bright, “once you are adopted and allowed to move about. You may also have your parents files if you want? You say?”

I opened my mouth to reply but Hawk beat me too it, “Yes please sir,” she said.

“Yes sir Mr. Ken sir.”

“Now that is more like it here you are,” he handed me my file it was made of cloth and stitches and crumbled a bit at my touch, “Please wait until you get to your dorm to open it the younger students would be jealous.”

“What about the boys are age. They get theirs?” asked Hawk.

Mr. Ken nodded, “Will, Paul and Andy got theirs yesterday. Now please return to your dorm before I break my promise to my wife!”

_____________________

“Let's each read are envelope then tell each other what it says,” said Hawk burying her nose into to her documents.

I opened my letter:

Victoria Gray/Newmon: CLASSIFIED IF EYE SCAN PROVES YOU ARE NOT RELATED TO VICTORIA NEWMON CONTENT WILL EXPLODE.

I gulped in taking fresh air. Was I meant to see this? Why was she CLASSIFIED in all caps?

Victoria Gray was born in the year 2006.

2006? My mother was born in year 2006? I read on.

In year 3003 she fell in love with Benjamin Newmon they married the same year. In the year 3007 their child Myrtle Newmon was born. Victoria made it her business to tell Benjamin nothing of her being a half rock demon half fire demon.

So now I was a part human part rock demon part fire demon? Great.

Benjamin Newmon: CLASSIFIED IF EYE SCAN PROVES YOU ARE NOT RELATED TO BENJAMIN NEWMON CONTENT WILL EXPLODE. Benjamin Newmon was born in the year 2011. In year 3003 he met Victoria Gray and they fell in love they married the same year. Year 3007 brought Myrtle Newmon. Benjamin made it his business to not let Victoria know he was human half plant demon. He died in year 3009 trying to stop a bulldozer and Victoria abandoned Myrtle in her depression.

I put my head in my hands exasperated. Hawk looked up.

“You done?” She asked.

“Yeah,” I mumbled, “You tell me first please.”

“Okay. My mother was a doctor her name was Nellie Roadshine. My dad worked for the army he died when I was 3 oh and his name was Andy Retriever. My mother disappeared no one knows what happened to her,” her eyes twinkled with happiness of the prospect of her mom still being alive then she looked at me and saw my glum expression, “What's wrong?”

I told her of my mom being a half rock demon and half fire demon and of my dad being a human and a plant demon tears streamed down my face.

“Don't ya worry Myrtle its probably a fake lets go ask for the real one ya couldn't have survived alone at age two,” she started to get up but I pushed her down.

“It's real my mother was born in year 2006 and my father 2011. It said: CLASSIFIED IF EYE SCAN PROVES YOU ARE NOT RELATED TO SO AND SO NEWMON CONTENT WILL EXPLODE too on both my mum's and dad's.”

“Your probably afraid everyone will judge you. Don't worry I won't,” she placed her hand on mine smiling, “I would love to be a demon it would scare everyone. Do you have pointed teeth like the fire type?” she ran her finger over my teeth and pulled it away sharply showing me her ripped flesh, “yep ya do, but ya don't need to be a carnivore. Why start being a carnivore if ya've never been one?”

I smiled. Hawk could always lighten my mood like no one else could.

“I don't want to wait until I'm adopted to know my fate,” I said.

NyghtNinja said...
NyghtNinja, Longmont, Colorado

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

10th Doctor, Doctor Who, episode Blink

I think it was really good. I would maybe discribe more what she looked like.

Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado

The child before the girl got the peasant card. Then it was her turn and the girl got a princess card. 

popcorn33 said...
I am a little confused about the first part.  Did the girl get a pheasant card or a princess card or both?  Other than that, I am intrigued with what is going to happen.

Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado

Comments please? I don't like this, but I don't know how to make it better.