The Unrest of the Unforgiven | Teen Ink

The Unrest of the Unforgiven

By Tyrannea BRONZE, California
Tyrannea BRONZE, California

And moreover this flax does not become separated from its stalks until it commences to soften and become corrupt; and it is this which one should use to make garlands and adornments for funeral processions. -Leonardo da Vinci

A/N: Well, this is just a little depressing prologue for you. This was a little idea I had. I won’t be continuing it. –Tyrannea

In the land of fairytales, a certain rule of the universe is followed to the dot, with no exceptions. The rule is that the hero must win, the villain must lose, and the female participant, who of course is extremely beautiful, must end up with the equally-good-looking protagonist. Then they either kiss or ride off into the sunset. Or kiss while riding into the sunset.

The villain, evil and twirling his overly-long mustache with his bony fingers, will pay for his crimes somehow near the end. Generally they fade into the background so the small children listening to their bedtime story can focus on the hero and heroine riding into the sunset. Because the story is only told out loud, the authors do not find it necessary to add the terrible perish of the villain so as not to give the listeners nightmares.

But in our universe, the wonderful land where fairytales are reality, after the beautiful people are reunited in their slow-motion jog towards each other with the beach and sunset in the background, the villains usually retire, declaring themselves too old to put up with any more dastardly plots and saying that all the excitement is bad for their hearts. Most develop Sol-occidens-phobia or sunset fear, the fear of sunsets. But aside from that fact they live out the rest of their lives full of guilt of their past deeds, and then die as guilty as they started.

No one took notice of this except the villains themselves, everyone else too busy staring at the beautiful sunset.

But who are we to blame them? Sunsets are mesmerizing.

The villains only sit in their dark room, muttering to themselves that they’re sorry. It’s a pity the heroes are too busy to notice to apology.

There was only one who saw outside the perfect picture of the sunset. One day he decided to explore beyond the picture into whatever might come his way. Excited like a small child the man drew up a large smile, confident he could brave the great unknown.

And he was shocked.

What he found were past villains struggling in vain to repent for past wrongs, realizing how horrible they had been. These actions were ignored and they were looked down upon. And while it could be considered wrong for the villagers to sell certain individuals items for a higher price than they do for others, the villains felt their guilt raised a notch, because they realized that they probably deserved it.

Villains became outcasts, and those who tried to reach out to them were threatened to become outcasts with them. What would they lose? Their morals or reputation?

In the end morals were lost.

So this certain man decided that he would be the first to help the poor wretches who reached out trying to capture some of the light shed by the heroes. He would help them regain their love, their life, and even more—their sanity. For those who truly wished for repentance he would stand up for, and help. He would lend them an ear, something that no one else had ever done. He would let them pour out their minds to him, and he would listen. Just listen.

He, Terrence Drake, would be the first ever villain therapist.

---Thanks for reading.

I was depressed. The end.

WILL NOT BE CONTINUED.