How do you die when your already dead? | Teen Ink

How do you die when your already dead?

November 15, 2011
By SpringAhead GOLD, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
SpringAhead GOLD, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't call me crazy, it drives me nuts!"








~Anonymous


I have tried everything. Every possible way, solution, is impossible without pain. I have jumped off cliffs, I have tried drowning in the water, cutting my wrists, snapping my neck, but nothing works. It only causes more and more pain. There is another way. One time I even ate the dreaded white cane, or garlic. It burned horrible but did not kill me. There is one last option I have not tried, the wooden stake.

It is said that if you plunge a wooden stake through a vampire’s heart it will finally die. I don’t know why vampires cannot stand the touch of wood. Maybe its because a vampire un-whole body and living/non-living, against something so wholesome and useful. It almost makes you understand why we can’t stand up to it. The only thing is, it burns to the touch, almost as bad as holy water, or garlic.

When my parents died so many years ago, from a terminal cancer, it was bittersweet. I watched them slowly die in our lonesome house, nestled in the middle of a “quiet” woods. Later I buried them, then sat alone in my house, just waiting for something to come along. Either death, or happiness. Neither approached me.

At that time I was human, a perfectly whole, body and soul. Then one night I was bitten. All of a sudden a stampede of vampire sprinted by, running from Elite soldiers. They decided that the only way out was to hide in my house. I let them in, of course, however once the threat was gone and they were able to leave, they needed a little meal and a new recruit, so I was taken down, beaten and bitten.

Now I am a vampire, cursed to forever be in but not part of the living and non-living. Not dead but not alive. I have no pulse. I do not breath. There is no need for me to eat or drink anything besides blood. It’s the only thing I yearn for. I am so glad my parents don’t have to see me like this, this monster. I can never find love ever again, or see the world without having the impulse of driving my horrifyingly long white fangs into another’s neck. I am also now hunted by Elite who will stop at nothing to catch and kill me. What has our world come to today?

Most times I stay in the outdoors away from most people. I catch and kill animals drinking their luscious blood then burying the body in a deserted area. I don’t want to be found out or tracked. With my vampire strength and speed it almost seems like I’m invincible. However I always feel like I am 19, never growing older. I don’t mind being stuck at 19, I always feel young, but still at an adult age. However I can never have the experience of alcohol, or liquor. Granted in these times they’re hard to find but now I’ll never know what’s it’s like to find an actual bar and drink.

I stared straight ahead as I walked along a long never ending dirt road. It twisted and wound around hills and cliffs in the hillside. They seemed to slope and curve forever, making a labyrinth of snow covered paths. I honestly didn’t care where I was going, just admiring the view. The only upside to being a vampire is that you can always stay outside and never feel cold or hot, no matter what your wearing. I can always stay outside admiring the nature that surrounds me, yet feel trapped inside a body that’s alive but not truly living.

“What do we have here?” a voice from behind me asked. In a flash I turned to see no one there. Immediately I predicted who it was.

“If you’re here to kill me do it! I won’t complain, I promise!” I shouted into the sky. Slowly, a gentle breeze began to surround me as voices whispering bitter-sweet nothings filled my ears. Then one prominent voice, above all the others spoke to me in a soft yet menacing tone.

“We know who you are Ace Selwyn White. We know you want to die to escape your tragic life and be with your parents again.” It whispered. “We can take you there, but why waste such energies on a vampire?” With that the breeze dissipated, along with the whispers. I didn’t even get to see one, a demon. They’re everywhere attacking all creatures, especially vampires, because they can never die.



Demons can never taste the soul of a vampire, but they are the only ones that can truly kill a vampire. Sometimes if the wooden stake does not breach your heart all the way, the vampire body can regenerate itself and you would be completely unharmed in a week or two, however a demon can take a vampire body and rip it apart, physically and spiritually. I want it, I'll take any kind of pain to be with my family again. However the demons know me. They know I want the end. They'll never touch me because of it
~~~~
Loneliness followed me wherever I went. It stalked me like a predator stalking its prey. It never left me alone, ever. It scared away anyone who would get close to me. Even demons were taken away. I wish it would end. It would all somehow end.

The woods were quiet and cold. My breath cascaded from my mouth and tumbled into the air like a gentle mist. It slowly dissipated downwards, leaving a trail behind it. Each step I took created another and another. I know vampires aren’t supposed to breath. I only inhale that foreign substance to allow a mind numbing cold to surge through my body for a second before it heated up with my un-dead body temperature. The breaths were rhythmic, with each step, another and another.

The woods looked the same, tree after tree stretching for miles, into the horizon. The sky above me was gray, and the ground below me what white, and snow covered. My path was beat down by the feet of previous travelers, so it made my journey into nothingness easier.

All of a sudden I began to have cravings. My disgusting habit forced on me by those I don’t know. It infuriated me. The craving was screaming in my head. Making my mouth water and my vision blur as it screamed again and again, blood . . . blood.

I found a rabbit resting in its den, nestled inside a small push. I felt pity as I grabbed it, and dug my outstretched fangs into his succulent neck. Its blood was as sweet as honey. However nothing ever comes without a price. The blood is exchanged for the life of a creature so sweet and innocent, being turned into something savage.

When an animal is bitten by a vampire, it experiences a constant thirst for blood. Its instincts are wiped to only one purpose, to bite and take the blood of anything living around it. That’s why a vampire animal is very dangerous, and needs to be killed immediately after its blood is gone, and its body dies. The merciful way is to plunge a stake through its heart, than it will die immediately. However the cruelness of irony takes over, the fact being I cannot touch wood myself.

I left it tied to a tree with a strong vine. Hopefully Elite agents will find it, and kill it, before it can break free and kill others . . . in a manner of speaking.

I walked on. My cravings gone, my body surging between cold, and warm; all I could do was walk and wish for death to come. However in the distance I noticed something. Instead of trees and more forest there was just a tree line, and empty space afterword. Now that my mind was thinking clearly I knew it wasn’t a dream. I started to run towards it and in an instant I was there. Past the tree line there was a cliff, cascading into a beautiful valley. In the center there was a glorious clean looking metropolis. It called to me, as if begging me to give my “life” a fighting chance. It looked like heaven, however I know being a vampire it is a place I can never go. It must be something else. A beacon of hope shining forth in a world darkened by war and suffering? Will it be a haven for all those being hunted and killed on the earth to take a rest and be safe from those who hate us? I don’t know. All I know is, that its drawing me in, and here on out my life will be different.


The author's comments:
This is a part of a novel I am writing, and debating whether to post to teenink or not. Comment if you think I should :)