Like A Dream - Excerpt | Teen Ink

Like A Dream - Excerpt

By Daesha SILVER, Dalby, Other
Daesha SILVER, Dalby, Other

Everything happens for a reason

My head hurt. The sun was blinding. Was it the sun? I couldn't tell. I didn't know whether I was inside or outside, where I was, or even who I was. I couldn't remember anything. It wasn't so bad, my head just hurt from the light. Where was it coming from? I couldn't see, because every time I tried to look, I was blinded again. I shut my eyes and let the feeling of peace settle over me again. I tried to turn my face away from the light, but it was still there, so I put my arm over my face. That was better.
I sunk into the ground, lying there. I couldn't tell what surface I was lying on. It felt as light as air, yet as substantial as earth. I didn't feel tired, I just felt like lying down and never getting up. I don't know how long I was there for, because time seemed meaningless. It could have been a couple of minutes, a couple of hours. I was knocked out of my reverie when someone spoke.
“What are you doing here?” I didn't recognise the voice, so I just stayed where I was. They didn't sound scary or menacing, so I didn't have anything to worry.
“This is my dream, so why shouldn't I be here?” I replied with as much confidence as I could muster up, still lying there. I couldn't be bothered moving my arm, so I left it there as I waited for them to reply. When they didn't answer, I tried moving my arm. When I did, I immediately sat up. I could see now. I was sitting in a little spring area, except there was one big exception. It was all mist. The waterfall, the grass, the pond, everything. I tried to pull at the grass, but my hand just passed right through. “What is this place?” I murmured, still trying to grab the grass.
“It's anywhere you want it to be.” The voice that spoke earlier was back. I whirled around and saw the speaker standing ten metres away, watching me. He was very handsome, like an angel. His hair was short and blonde, his features perfectly aligned. The only word I could put to him was beautiful. He also looked somehow familiar, like a lost and distant memory.
“Who are you?” I didn't know why I was talking to a dream, but I had to pass the time somehow. I took a few steps towards him, watching for his reaction. He shrugged and took a few steps towards me. We were only five metres apart from each other.
“I'm whoever you want me to be.” His answers weren't making sense. I looked him straight in the eyes, trying to figure out his thoughts. He seemed to guess what I was doing, and slowly smiled. “Trust me, you won't be able to figure them out.” I decided he was telling the truth, so I went back to studying him. He was wearing an ancient Roman outfit, including a pristine white toga, sandals and wreath in his hair. It seemed very weird, but then again, weren't all dreams a bit weird? He turned around and started walking away, through the mist. “Wait!” I called. He paused and looked back over his shoulder.
“What are you waiting for?” He turned back around and started walking. I wanted to know what he meant, so I followed. As I was walking, I half expected the scene to change. To my surprise, it didn't, just kept going. I almost caught up to him. In the meantime, we passed a small stream, the water running lazily. I finally came up beside him, and stood in front of him. He just stepped around me and kept going, not saying anything. I would normally get frustrated, but seeing as this was a dream, it didn't really bother me. I started following him again and soon enough we actually got somewhere. Although everything was still mist, we were approaching a cabin nestled in between two trees. It didn't seem very big, until we actually stepped inside.
“Oh my god, what is this place?” I was shocked. The inside of the cabin was huge, the size of at least three football fields joined together,, with doors lining almost every inch of the walls. I just stood there, unable to comprehend what I was seeing.
“Do you like it?” he was staring intently at me, watching my reaction. I didn't say anything, just stood there, staring. He walked towards the closest wall and started walking its length. He stopped around halfway and opened a door. He pulled it open wide and stepped through, disappearing as he went.
“No!” I didn't realise that it came from my mouth until he came back through and looked at me. “What's in there?” I had to say something.
“Well, I'd say it's a surprise. Come on, what are you waiting for?”
“Hold on, hold on. I don't even know your name.”
He looked at me, meaningfully. “You should know my name.” He stepped through the door before I could say anything. I quickly ran over and opened the door, putting my foot through. I was confused, because as soon as my foot passed through, it felt like it was in water. Before I could withdraw it, something wrapped it's hand around my ankle, pulling my whole foot through. It all happened so quickly, so I only had enough time to grab onto the door frame. They pulled harder and my whole body, except for my arms and my head, was through the door. I was definitely submerged in water. I tried to scream for help, except I couldn't speak. I was too scared to do anything except hold onto the doorway. I couldn't hold on for very long, because whatever it was that had my ankle was still pulling on me. I tried to scream again and made some progress. It didn't sound very loud, but it was something. “Help! Someone help me!” All of a sudden, one of my hands slipped and I was only hanging on by one hand. I thought I should try screaming again, except my head was then pulled into the water as well. I tried not to breath, but it took me by surprise, making it harder to fight. This was it, I could feel it. I was seconds away from slipping into the unknown. I inhaled water and felt an extreme wave of panic as my hand slipped.

I couldn’t breathe; my chest felt like it was going to explode out of my body. Any moment now, my life force would leave my body, and I would be free from this excruciating pain. The last thought was of a boy, barely even a man. His dark brown hair was flecked with pieces of gold as light shone from behind him. His blue eyes smiled as his grin flashed easily. I smiled back, for the last time, I would imagine. Slowly, ever so slowly, the darkness consumed me.

This piece is an extract from a novel I am currently still writing, so I wanted to know what people thought.