Killing Machine | Teen Ink

Killing Machine

By Liliana_5 BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
Liliana_5 BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida

The footsteps behind me grew louder as I ran through the forest scenery. Before I knew what I was doing, I found myself bolting up a tree. I looked down at the helpless man-made creature below, disappointed. The supposedly vicious and inescapable monster my colleagues and I had created had failed us.

I watched it for a few moments, circling the tree below me. Its robotic appendages moving with such grace, but still obviously needing work. I glance up towards the carefully positioned helicopters patiently awaiting my stress signal. Their blades almost touching the sky colored dome we had built only four months ago to conduct and contain our dangerous experiments.

I press a small silver button on my watch and see a beam of red light flash in the direction of my getaway crew. A ladder descends for me and the mechanical beast below shuts off. I climb the ladder with a sluggish pace due to my unsatisfactory report on my beloved machine to which I had dedicated so much time and effort.

My team was eagerly awaiting my arrival above. I delivered my report and we flew back to to the headquarters bracing ourselves for what would be a long week of many changes and much needed improvements on our killing machine.

This piece is a super short sci-fi that was inspired by a book we were reading in English class titled Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. :)