Prologue: When I Turn 11 | Teen Ink

Prologue: When I Turn 11

By VeeTse BRONZE, Taipa, Other
VeeTse BRONZE, Taipa, Other

The peaceful lapping of the water awoke me from my sleep. As delicate as I could, I allowed my feet to brush the rough, wooden floor as I dreamily drifted to the window of my moonless room. Hauling the window open gave me a picturesque view of the entire village yet everything appeared monotonous to me; from the monumental mountains that cradled our village while humming a lullaby, prevalently whispering their protection towards our vulnerable, persuasive ears to the gentle lake that glides swiftly through our uniformed village as it accumulates the thoughts and contemplations of the unsleeping. "The night is still young, tomorrow won’t come anytime soon", I coaxed myself in to believing as I, once more, brushed my feet along the splintered path, returning to my bed. The sudden guttural sound awoke me once more. My fingers tightened around the bristly texture that hovered above my body, striving to comfort me. The practicality of that matter lasted no longer than a split second. I forced my eyes tight shut, so tight that no fear, nor scares can awaken me once again. Then I heard it again. First scream. Second scream. Third scream. "Must be the Qing triplets", I thought to myself as my tight-shut eyes allowed a single dollop of tear propel through. "The world is harsh place, Hoyi, you have to learn to accept the truths you may not see eye to eye with", my grandma used to say to me in her melodious voice. The reminiscence relaxed me as my brows gradually unclenched, fingers loosened, eyelids relinquished the dumbbells attached as my mind stopped turning and thoughts ceased churning.

The prologue to a short story I am planning on writing. Please let me know if I should continue writing. If so, the next chapter will be posted shortly in the future.