Southern Hospitality | Teen Ink

Southern Hospitality

By Neoni BRONZE, Selah, Washington
Neoni BRONZE, Selah, Washington

“If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.” -Michael Jackson

The dogs are curled up on the porch, and the chickens are roosting in the rafters of the nearby barn. All is
silent, excepting the occasional cricket chirping. A soft wind winds through the wheat fields. Overhead the
waning moon reflects in a sort of dull glory.
The lights in a small house are visible, a cheery glow slicing through the darkness. Inside, a young
woman dries her hair. She wraps a fluffy white robe around herself. A cold draft blows through the cracked
open window. She shivers and hurries to close - but not lock - it. Her husband is away for the weekend, and
it’s admittedly much less exciting for the newly wed bride without him. The young woman hears one of her
dogs begin to growl, then whimper. She turns her head to the side, wondering what is the matter.
“Claudia? Comet?” She calls, pulling the robe around her more tightly. She sticks her head out the window.
The doorbell rings. Her eyes widen slightly. The driveway is bare of any cars. The house is a good
five miles from town.
“I’m coming!”
Hurriedly, the young woman pulls on some pajama pants under the robe. Ever the proper - or at least
modest - lady she is. She hurries down the hall to the door.
“Can I help you?” She asks, pulling the door open. On the porch stands a man, a few years older than her
perhaps. He appears lost, with bedraggled blonde hair and a hungry expression.
“Yes...your house is the first one I’ve happened upon. Do you have a phone, or perhaps some gas?” He
adds the last part hopefully.
“The phone’s out,” She says wryly. “I have some gas. I didn’t see your car in the driveway though.”
“I walked through the woods. I was rather foolish to take a scenic drive so far without telling anyone,” He
sighs charismatically.
“Hmm...would you like to come in?” She offers - again ever the proper lady. He smiles gratefully and steps
inside. The young woman turns and walks towards the kitchen. “I’ll go get the gas. But first, would you like
anything to eat or drink? I imagine you must be starving, walking all this way.”
“I am rather thirsty,” He replies.
“Would you like some tea?” She starts to take the tea kettle out.
“Ah, southern hospitality hasn’t changed. Unfortunately, I don’t drink tea,” the man muses. In a flash, he
grabs the young woman, sinking his teeth into her neck before she can scream. The tea kettle falls to the
floor. The dogs begin to bark. The vampire hisses loudly, and the barks are once more replace with
whimpers. “Truly sorry, miss.” He smirks and lets the body collapse to the floor.