Heaven's Not So Beautiful | Teen Ink

Heaven's Not So Beautiful

June 11, 2013
By Maggie_xox BRONZE, Sellersville, Pennsylvania
Maggie_xox BRONZE, Sellersville, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Let go, let god ∞


I don’t remember much from that day; all I remember is the look of fear on my friend, Caleb’s face as he sat beside me on the cold December morning watching as a familiar figure entered the room very quickly. My young teacher watched the door as it flung open and revealed the tall man with wild eyes, the same color as mine. The chalk slipped out of her hand and the room grew deathly silent as we sat innocently watching as the man pulled the metal device from behind him.
Suddenly, all I heard was a scream; I was unsure if it was mine, and everything went black. I saw a tiny white light off in the distance the size of a pea. At that moment, every step I took became lighter and lighter; I realized that that was the end. Most people think that death is the end, the end of good times, the end of memories, the end of, well, everything, and until now I’ve never believed it. I always thought heaven would feel wonderful, beautiful even, but it’s only beautiful if you died beautifully… not if you were murdered.
I remember “Merry Christmas,” being written on the chalk board in the front of the room that day; although, Santa would not be stopping by my house this year. Oh, my name is Katie, by the way, and I am eight years old; I was anyways. The angels always tell me it’s time to let go, to forget what has happened, but how can I forget something that is the only thing I remember? How can I let go knowing people like me are going to die? I can’t.

I can see him, you know; I watch him; I can see him, planning; everyday, I can see him. She’s in danger, I know she is. He meant to kill her, not me! Kaylee, my twin, she’s still alive. She’s still down there on the Earth Plane and she’s in danger. They’re all in danger.
I need to stop him, but how? I have barely even earned enough trust to watch everyone I love, let alone enough trust to actually travel down to stop him. If only knew it was him who murdered 56 children that day, who will murder 56 more if I don’t do something to stop him. I am eight years old however; I am dead, and nobody will believe a dead child, even if I could find a way out of here.

Kaylee! Of course! She’ll believe me, she has to believe me, but what will she say to anyone else? “My dead sister told me who the murderer was?” No, of course not, it would never work. If I do tell her though, she could set something up.
Time in heaven, isn’t like time on earth, so even though I’m only eight here, down on earth, I would be fourteen. You stay the same age you were when you died when you do come here. That means Kaylee is fourteen and he has been planning to kill her and everyone else in the marathon for six years; six years of watching and six full years of complete insanity.
I know what I have to do and I have to act now before it’s too late. All of a sudden, I see the opportunity right before my eyes as the guardian angel moves away from the glorious bridge that you need to cross to get back to earth, and I seize the opportunity. Before I can get myself together, Kaylee is walking through the door with a look of pure fear across her face, that same look Caleb showed me the day I died.

Today is the marathon. It took hours of convincing before Kaylee finally gave in to believing that I was really me. Luckily, she’s the only human being that is able to see me because I don’t know how many more tears I can handle. He will be there at 11:05am to begin the shooting. If everything works out right, he’ll be gone, not to heaven though, heaven is too beautiful for someone as loathful as him.
It’s 11:00am and he is right where he should be, clueless to the reality of what’s going to happen next. He’s perched just above the wall on the roof of the nearby building. I can see the horror in Kaylee’s eyes as she realizes how much time we have left before we act. The clock strikes 11:05am and I can slightly hear Kaylee’s heart pounding against her chest; the man doesn’t move.
“What’s he doing?” Kaylee questions me. “What is he waiting for?”

As we move inch by inch closer to the figure on the roof, I feel someone’s eyes on me.
“No! Kaylee!” I shout in a panic.
I swing my head around just in time to see the bullet pierce through the limp body of my dead sister. He’s gone… again. The sirens are blaring, but it’s too late; my sister is gone and my father has murdered another child and nobody knows it was him.