the Witness | Teen Ink

the Witness

By AnnieLynn BRONZE, Fall River, Massachusetts
AnnieLynn BRONZE, Fall River, Massachusetts

Ken saw the leader threw the last of the casings away, and that left them three people with six bullets.
Six bullets. He wanted to know what Tom did before his whole team went out; were there despair, madness, pain and screams, or did they just with the usual Tom-ish calm blasted open each other's skull? Ken stared beyond the barricades, stared at the swarm behind. Those things already died once, hm? Said the Lucy girl, so you could only break their spine, otherwise you turn into them. He didn't like that girl.
"Cal, what time is it?", Ken threw back his head. The pale lad named Cal shuddered as the panic went through him,"five, five PM." He brushed aside his grey shirt sleeve and answered in a twisted tone.
"Scared?", that recollected the leader's attention. He looked at Ken with the blank sobriety typical among the survivors. It made Ken always felt like a convict under trial. Always that look.
No, that did not mean he loath it, even when it seems to obscure what was left of them. He found at the edge of consciousness that it is this cold wall supporting them against the fierce and incited They.
"They are coming," Cal twitched asthmatically; he had collapsed along with the bridge of his nose three days ago from his drunken fight. Ken can see him raising his gun, grabbing his share of bullets, loading, and propping the muzzle against his chin, shaking all the while——no one would stop him——and...
'Bang!'
It's the leader. He stood up, the shot removing one of Theirs jaw. The explosion somehow indistinct from a dying prey's call.
Ken doubted if he still was capable of negation. He had no anger but thinking the one before him a hero, silhouette of his imaginary sun. Suddenly Cal stood up, then the jawless They did too.
Staggering forward, it came almost sprawling on all fours, leading the noise-wakened thickness behind it, teeth spared and oozing.
"Don't want to die cowards?" Cal gasped between breaths and kept jumping,"You maniacs." He raised his gun, nearly with his eyes closed disposed his two bullets and charged straight across.
No one stopped him.
Good bye Cal, Ken only realized he didn't move as he watched the young lad finally froze in horror halfway. They then enveloped him, attached to him with a collective momentum like some heavy liquid. If not for these brutes?he would probably be still in school. Ken remembered earlier things.
That left them two people with three bullets.

yep, Zombies.This is a practice clip I did for characterization & tone, for Ken the Witness and his four teammates.