The Magic of the Pen | Teen Ink

The Magic of the Pen

September 2, 2013
By Anonymous

There once lived a scientist, or more specifically a theoretical physicist. This physicist's name was Dr. Thomas Richardson. He was 35 and had a wife. His wife, Dr. Rebecca Richardson, was also a physicist.

One day, Dr. Thomas was at the university checking his e-mail, when he heard a strange sound. This sound aroused his curiosity. He got up from his desk to go investigate. He walked down the hallway listening for the sound. It seemed to be coming from the janitors closet. He opened the door. There, in the middle of the floor was a portal. He tentatively stepped forward,and was sucked into the portal. Then, he blacked out.

When Dr. Thomas woke up, he wasn't in the university anymore, and the portal was gone. He was in a strange world. Everything was black and white, except for the sky. The sky was a bright purple color. He got up and started to look around. All he saw was a desk that looked exactly like his at home. There was nothing in the desk or on the desk, except one thing. A pen. He picked the pen up, and a shock went through his arm. He almost passed out for the second time that day. He picked up the pen and kept walking.

He then had to figure out how to get home. When he could not figure it out, he threw up his arms in frustration. Right where the pen had gone now stood a portal. He tried to do it again, but it did not work. He tried again, and still it did not work. Then, he held the button on the top of the pen and tried again. It worked! He put the pen in his pocket and stepped through the first portal. He was transported again. This time he was transported back to the university. He felt for the pen. It was still in his pocket. He took it out and started to play with it. He learned that he could write anything, and it would appear. As he already figured out, he could create portals to other dimensions.

He decided to go to another dimension. He pressed the button at the top of the pen, and swiped the air. Another portal opened in front of him. He stepped in it. This world was different than the last one. This world was full of different colors. It even had a blue forest. He started to explore. He saw different kinds of animals, some he had never seen before. He then started to head into the forest. When he was halfway into the forest, he heard a terrifying sound. It sounded like a freight train coming through the forest. He was about to run when he saw a giant beast. It had the head of a lion and the body of an elephant. He opened another portal with his magic pen and jumped through.

That is when he woke up screaming. "It had just been a dream," he said. "Only a dream," he said even louder. He woke up his wife and told her all about the dream. When he was done, he went downstairs to get a glass of water. When he came around the corner, his knees buckled beneath him. There on the kitchen counter, was the pen.
Some fear the magic of the pen. Some embrace it. I choose to respecct it.