Time Flux | Teen Ink

Time Flux

By Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut
Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut

"Respect existence or expect resistance"

What if there was no time?
No end, no beginning; what if it all just started with the smallest twitch of matter, with you opening your eyes, with the song of a blue jay, or the tumble of a waterfall trickling through the forest?
What if everything stopped; what then?
Would your eyes halt mid-blink, would the song be cut off into thin air, would the water hover inches above the rocks it was destined to meet?
Or would nothing change at all?
Would the world insist against time, and still let your eyes open, the song be sung, and the water trickle below?
Or maybe it didn't start at all. Maybe everything is happening in this moment, the now, the forever, but in you mind you are still pressing onward into a time that you created. Eyes opening, song singing, water tumbling.
When really time doesn't exist at all. Just a figment of your imagination, conjured up by the insistent illusions of others. Maybe you have never been opening your eyes. They have always been open, have always been shut, and always stuck in the middle; have been, will be, forever. Song cut short, song unsung, song concluded; constant but never there at all. Water falling, water fell, water inches away from gravity's hold; always doing the three, always between, never listening to what reality has to say about it.
And what if I told you that someone was in charge of it all? Not a god, not a spirit, but just a person? Stepping here, walking there, an inch away from where you stand. The whole of time and creation dangling at dispense in their thoughts.
What if I told you that you are that person?
The one controlling time without knowing that they are; knowing that it must press onward in all moments. Your deepest subconscious sorts out time, lets events scatter then collect, intervening and standing aside. All possibility that was or would or never could be; all time that has and was and will never happen at all.
Just hiding in the shadows of your mind.
Now, if you were aware of this, then what? Do you alter time to suit your needs? Do you let the whole of eternity cave in your favor? Or do you make it cave for others? Or, perhaps, you do nothing of the sort; you tweak a few things here and there, waiting for time to sort itself out without much help of its owner. A dog without a leash.
But what if that dog is vicious? What if it is about to bite; a bite that could cause such a fatal wound to the world, that its existence would shatter, and fight to recollect itself, unable to pull together as easily as your will? Do you stop it; or do you listen to your own thoughts, instead of your emotions, and let the war rage on?
Would you have war at all, if you had time at the touch of your fingers? Would you end starvation, discrimination; would you end those horrid things?
If you did, would that be all you had done? Ended in the future; not a problem to worry about, everyone has a solid survival without being insulted or opinionated by those who have no right to. But then people don't have a right to place even their silent opinions on people; not even the positive. Because the positive thoughts of one can twist into the foul harshness of another. Everyone is a blank sheet of paper with no words to describe itself or the world it sees.
But is that right? Is it right to take away people's emotions and free will, their being, simply so that one cannot learn with the guidance of others that some people are foolish and unable to sort out their darkness silently without inflicting a pain on others?
So you end it in the past; no war, no hunger, no fights; past is safe, and those living in your past lead calm lives. But then the World Wars would never have occurred; the realization placing such endless fighting as a horrid thing would never come to be. So why would you need to end war if there never was any in the first place? People will never learn that killing is wrong. People will never feel the grief for the ones they lost. People will never remember those days with hints of pride at their valiant efforts and victories, or resentment at the failure. The loss of those wars would be meaningless, because you changed time so there was no war at all. People wouldn't have strong emotion while reading the textbooks in class; history is history, no battles or disputes, everyone where they are and need to be through every moment of their lives; but without the history that shaped them. The true history. The history of conflict playing out in the past, teaching us not to let it play out in the future.
If it was gone then, it would loom ahead sooner than it ever could have before. For without those battles to guide us to a peaceful future, how would we know how to settle our sudden arguments? There would be no one able to help us then. Just our creation; and we are only human, and all people make mistakes. Even if some mistakes are more drastic than others, they have happened before, in a history that you made certain never was; so those mistakes will occur now. The future.
So was it worth it? Eradication famine and discrimination, only to halt all emotion and opinions; the very ones that lead to mistakes and triumphs? Was it worth rewriting history only to create a darker future because the lessons we learned then will have to be discovered sometime?
Think on it for a second. Just think.
Do you wish things were the way they were?
Do you wish you never discovered this power?
Or do you think that it was, even with the bland people and dark results to follow, worth the trouble?
Because a blue jay’s song must peep out sometime. The water must clash against stone. And your eyes, eventually, will open. However dark the future may be, the past teaches us our lives. The history can change the future. The future can change the history.
Time can flux, but event is fixed.
Are you?

Power is one thing; alteration is another. But what you alter may seem right; but what seems wrong might not need to be altered. The history shapes us into who we are; the future determines it. But what does that future hold? What would it be without the shadowed history it reconciles? What would it be if one person had it all; the power, the time, the reason and will to alter, and then they did the wrong thing. The one wrong that feels right until you realized the truth. What then?

Yes! I have a fan!!! I can die happy now! XD Seriously though, thank you so much for your kind words. It's really amazing to come back to after burying my nose in a single piece for a year (*gasp* has it been that long?). Thank you for everything!

SkippyPeanutbutter SILVER, Utrecht, Other

"Happiness can be found, even at the darkest of times. If one only remembers to turn on the light." -Albus Dumbledore
"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" -the Eleventh Doctor

yet another amazing articcle! I love your writing and your imagination, your articles are so powerful and I just cannot stop reading them. (consider me your number 1 fan!)

Thank you! The whole reason I thought this one up was due to my interest in time travel physics in the real world and the future ones. I thought about what I would do, given the opportunity, which led the very interesting controversy you just read. I am glad that you like it!

IMSteel BRONZE said...
IMSteel BRONZE, Wallhala, South Carolina

"Learn from Yesterday, live for Today, hope for Tomorrow" - Albert Einstein

"Brevity is the Soul of Wit" - The Which

This was a truly thought-provoking read. The prose of the story was perfect: unbiased, striking out in all directions, and even in directions where it seems nothing could go. Parting thought: the past guides us, and we look to to the past to learn of humanity's mistakes, but what defines them as mistakes? How can some people do that same thing wrong twice, choose the wrong path thinking that it is right, despite the things that have happened in history? Great story! Keep writing!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. 

Blynn SILVER said...
Blynn SILVER, Waco, Texas
I really like this! Great job. Great writing and depth. I really dont have any suggestions for this, it is oerfect hwo it is (:

Thank you! In all honesty, I surprised myself by writing it, even though it was something I had been thinking for a long time. A few years ago there was a school essay, where you went back in time and changed something; someone said that I should stop World War 2. But I, having been familiar with the known properties of time and physics, knew that if that never happened, then we wouldn't have learned the terror that such war could bring - we wouldn't know why war was a terrible thing. This was inspired by that, even if it came a year later. I'm glad you liked it!

Erake BRONZE said...
on Sep. 26 2013 at 9:18 am
Erake BRONZE, Levering, Michigan
simply amazing :D